PDA

View Full Version : Rock Tank

dark_lotis
01/15/2010, 10:54 AM
I am leaving for the military in late April and want to keep my live rock. I was thinking i could get rid of all my corals and animals and leave a 75 gal setup up with just my live rock and a MH light. What do you guys think about this. I was planning on putting sand, rock, maybe a nano goby, some pewr heads and a light. The tank will sit at my dads and I can get some one to check on it bout every other week to top it off. I can pay some one to come do water changes every other month. Think this will work any suggestions on how to make it work any input would be great.

fishysteve
01/15/2010, 10:57 AM
I wouldn't think you would need a light or need to do water changes. Just top off from evaporation.

Frick-n-Frags
01/15/2010, 12:40 PM
i would use only a dim light or none. the dimmest of light will keep traces of coralline alive while discouraging the green algae you know is waiting to jump in to the mix.

i would keep good water movement like with a couple powerheads. i cooked down a tank of rock for a year like that. just adding makeup and a very random WC with WC wastewater from the main system. all the chitons/tube worms/bryozoans/etc etc etc made it. in fact the tank is now back online, but it still has its pile of rock in near darkness (i actually have a std growlight 4' flour on an icecap vho channel, but it is shining through a piece of thin styrofoam and some recycle bags to dim it (recycle bags = ghetto 12kk sunburst :D) but through trial and error, i had to attenuate the light that much to keep the green from sprouting while still growing coralline(although very slowly)

jet fixer
01/15/2010, 01:17 PM
Sell it!
If you get an overseas assignment you will not be able to ship it. Unless you are married you will end up living in the dorm and aquariums are not allowed in dorm rooms.

dark_lotis
01/15/2010, 01:26 PM
Thanks for all the input so far. I think I'm going to at least try it if nothing else i can sell it as soon as I get out of boot camp.