PDA

View Full Version : the green acro colony I had a problem with I think had RTN

mhills16
01/15/2010, 01:19 PM
Im pretty sure in my last thread I started that the problem was RTN because It rapidly lost a whole section, and the skin just flaked off over night, the rest of my sps, around 10 deifferent types, including other acros have no problem and are growing great. My question is, what do I do? Can RTN spread to other sps? can I leave the bleached sections be? or, do I need to frag off the section? let me know your thoughts, thanks, Mike.

Pickupman66
01/15/2010, 01:55 PM
If you still have some of it left over, you need to clip the bad off. when I had one do that, I just clipped teh bad parts to save the good. make sure you clip a bit of good. this saved a pocilipora for me and several acro's

poolkeeper1
01/15/2010, 02:03 PM
If there Is any healthy part left Frag It and mount on a new plug. RTN has many causes but usually It's a problem with your water conditions or stability of the system. If I'm correct It's pretty new, Yes If so It may just be too much too fast B4 your system can handle It stability wise, Or It may just be a unhealthy coral that was too stressed to make It! JMHO. SPS need stability most of all along with good flow lighting and stable parameters IE Ca, KH, Mg Salinity PH Etc. Hope this helps....
Bill

mhills16
01/15/2010, 03:30 PM
everything is stable, it is now around 5 months old...It is a very nice set up, and all other acros are growing like crazy! I mean, i have some that i got from a fellow member 3 weeks ago and they have almost grown a half inch! The green acros i got from pet palace are the ones I am having problems with...I dont believe they are healthy to begin with...All my parims are exactly where they need to be...just right.....I just dont think it was healthy to begin with maybe....plus, even when my systm was new, I got 75 lbs of live rock from a member who had it in his tank for years, and a 30 gallon sump, also, my DT is a 60 gallon cube. plus my skimmer is rated for a 250 gallon tank i believe...and in my sump is a great refugium with alot of chaeto live sand and LR. I shouldnt have bought the green acros, I didnt liek they way they looked to begin with, I mean they looked good, but there was a large part of the colony that had been dead for quite some time.....Oh well, live and learn...It also had white strands all over it before it started to go...This wont spread to my other sps will it? thanks, Mike

Pickupman66
01/15/2010, 04:27 PM
! The green acros i got from pet palace are the ones I am having problems with...I dont believe they are healthy to begin with...

There is likely the issue. I got a stressed frag at the swap last year. had some Major RTN. almost lost the entire colony. it just got too cold. however, with some trimming up and just letting it sit, it is now about 4x the size from last year.

mhills16
01/15/2010, 06:25 PM
sounds good, i guess tonight or tomorrow morning ill trim it up. I think that was the problem as well.....kind of iffy getting acros from them I think.....It isnt like a cold or something that can be passed to other corals in the tank? is it? I mean, is it a sickness that is contagious?