PDA

View Full Version : What are the hardiest fish for a reef tank?

forrealb50
01/15/2010, 03:36 PM
I swear I did a search and didnít find any threads dedicated to this topic.

Tangs are my favorite types of fish but Iím thinking of giving up on them (ich). I wanted to know what are the hardiest fish that I can add into a reef tank. I would like to add 6-7 hardy fish to my reef tank that I wonít have to worry about ich with.

Lets start a list, Iíll go first.

1. Blue Damsel

drparker
01/15/2010, 03:41 PM
I'd say any of the tank breed clowns or cardinals are very hardy.

tankfly
01/15/2010, 03:41 PM
In my experience:
Firefish
Hawkfish
Wrasses
Blennies
Pseudochromis
Shrimp gobies
Clownfish

fox2589
01/15/2010, 03:43 PM
clowns are very hardy..i will say i have had bad experiences with small gobie's..cant seem to keep them alive..(not saying there hard..but i would watch them closely and make sure they get fed often)-Drew

lougotzz
01/15/2010, 03:54 PM
I guess im lucky, anything ive kept ive had no problems keeping alive. Although I did just loose my bicolor blenny, and diamond goby because I have a rimless tank and didnt realize.

cdbias2
01/15/2010, 04:31 PM
Engineer gobies

todd141
01/15/2010, 04:54 PM
clowns are very hardy..i will say i have had bad experiences with small gobie's..cant seem to keep them alive..(not saying there hard..but i would watch them closely and make sure they get fed often)-drew

+1

csmfish
01/15/2010, 05:04 PM
I would like to add 6-7 hardy fish to my reef tank that I wonít have to worry about ich with.

Why dont you just get rid of the ich before they go in, then you will not have to worry about it!?

forrealb50
01/15/2010, 05:14 PM
Why don't you just get rid of the ich before they go in, then you will not have to worry about it!?

I did. Did the whole fishless for 6 weeks and QT with copper for 4. Put fish in DT and after 4 days a few ich spots showed up.

I think the ich came from inverts I added along with corals. They probably has some of those cysts waiting to hatch.

I'm sick of the whole QT process and don't want to put everything in the QT before it goes in the DT. Putting a snail or coral in a QT seems like way too much work to me. Takes the fun out of the hobby for me.

koranAngel
01/15/2010, 05:28 PM
not all tangs are easy to catch ich
i had a few blue tangs and kept on poping up from nowhere
now i have purple n sohal tang which seem to be less prone to ich
read more on tangs n find out the hardier ones dont give up on them

as for hardy fish in general
blue green chromis (fav to start off with) or any damsels
flame angel or most dwarf angels
rabbit fish, foxface (resisitant to diseases)
clowns
gobies

forrealb50
01/15/2010, 05:43 PM

clowns
gobies

Do you think the fish above could all live together? I'm going to wait and see if my PBT pulls through. If not, then I'm going to go with the above fish.

koranAngel
01/15/2010, 05:54 PM
yeah they should have no problems at all since most fish i have mentioned ive tried in my smaller tank n now in current system

not sure what size ur tank is?
pbt i love as well as blue tang but as mentioned b4 wont risk them anymore despite lfs all claim "no ich etc all fish are medicated before sale etc"
n the 6week qt process is a long long wait for me

reefscape15
01/15/2010, 06:04 PM

clowns
gobies

I'd have to oppose the Dwarf Angels as hardy. Maybe Cherubs, but most of them are NOT a fish that you should consider hardy or easy or starter fish. Some MAY have luck with them, but they are definitely not hardy in general.

engineeronh2o
01/15/2010, 07:20 PM
Dwarf angels, tank raised clowns, six line wrasse, lawnmower blenny

Fin Mike
01/15/2010, 07:41 PM
Just my two bits, but if your water chemistry is within parameters, your fish was properly collected, and your set up is a good one, I believe most fish should be able to "shake" the disease. I know there are some very delicate species out there, but most should recover if given the proper environment. Keep trying and don't lose heart.

Fin Mike
01/15/2010, 07:48 PM
Just my two bits, but if your water chemistry is within parameters, your fish was properly collected, and your set up is a good one, I believe most fish should be able to "shake" the disease. I know there are some very delicate species out there, but most should recover if given the proper environment. Keep trying and don't lose heart.:thumbsup:

AtlantaReefer
01/15/2010, 08:54 PM
Powder Blues are hard to maintain in small aquariums. And by small I mean anything under 6ft in lenght. While tangs are succeptable to ich more so then any other fish. Some are more prown to it. At my LFS he has a 300 gal display tank. Been up and running since Ive known him, (10 years) has a regal tang. It gets ich maybe once every other month. For no reason in particular. Any form of stress and it will come. Healthy specimans shake it. Weaker ones don't. I sttarted having better luck with some of the harder tangs when I had cleaner shrimp, and wrasse in my tank. Yellow tangs, kole tangs, scopus, regal, purple, mimic, sailfin, all are alot hardier then the powder brown, powder blue, clown, chevron and others.

TOM BLEVINS
01/15/2010, 09:01 PM
chromis & hawkfish 7 years old now.

Frick-n-Frags
01/16/2010, 06:01 AM
clowns
hawkfish
royal gramma or blackcap basslet

although, maybe my perspective is bogus because i only keep easy-feeders and usually one, 2 max fish at a time in a lot of water. so i have no stress or disease issues, and if they get their required diet...they go for a long time. i usually will lose a fish to an accident if i lose one: 6-line jumped, anemone crushed a RG, rockslide killed my hawkfish, green terror star ate a couple decorative blennies..stupid stuff..sad lessons to learn.

blennymower
01/16/2010, 06:13 AM
Engineer gobies

+1

Very hardy

AngelsAnonymous
01/16/2010, 08:32 AM
Damsels are the hardiest, I have seen/heard them live through just about anything!

illal
01/16/2010, 08:40 AM
loose the PBT and youll be fine! definitly an ick magnet

sagecx
01/16/2010, 11:00 AM
damsels, tank raised clowns, and a lawnmower blenny.Had one of these hide in the rocks when i was prepping another tank. He must have been in a pocket of water cause he lived in that for about 4 hours then survived me filling it with freshwater and then dumping the bags of salt in and letting the powerheads mix the salt. My gf pointed him out hours later just sitting on one of the rocks staring at me...he looked ****ed imo

joejoe1055
01/16/2010, 11:26 AM
clowns, damsel, royal gramma, maybe a yellow watchman or pink spot gobie,
for angels maybe a coral beauty, lawnmowers blenny gets my vote also

So*Cal Reefdude
01/16/2010, 01:44 PM
Do you think the fish above could all live together? I'm going to wait and see if my PBT pulls through. If not, then I'm going to go with the above fish.

i have a pbt in my tank that had ick. i know its in my tank but if the quality of the water is good and the fish is happy it don't have it. just keep it fat and the water stable