PDA

View Full Version : PBT has ich... Could he recover in DT?

forrealb50
01/15/2010, 04:16 PM
Well my PBT has three ich spots that I'm sure will multiple exponentially over the next few days. Is it true that PBT cannot survive/recover ich without copper or hypo.

crvz
01/15/2010, 07:18 PM
nope, that's not true. why such the pessimist? ;)

if you've had the fish for a while, I'd definitely give it plenty of time to recover on it's own. Give it a good diet, great water conditions, and monitor it over the next week. If it gets REALLY bad, maybe consider getting it in QT, but I generally find throwing together a makeshift QT a greatly increased source of stress, which can offer further the issues with the fish.

If the fish is relatively new to you, you may consider other alternatives. In most cases, an otherwise healthy fish will recover on it's own.

forrealb50
01/15/2010, 07:40 PM
nope, that's not true. why such the pessimist? ;)

if you've had the fish for a while, I'd definitely give it plenty of time to recover on it's own. Give it a good diet, great water conditions, and monitor it over the next week. If it gets REALLY bad, maybe consider getting it in QT, but I generally find throwing together a makeshift QT a greatly increased source of stress, which can offer further the issues with the fish.

If the fish is relatively new to you, you may consider other alternatives. In most cases, an otherwise healthy fish will recover on it's own.

Water condition are great but I want to make sure I'm feeding the correct stuff. Nori, flakes, and Thera+A are his diet right now. I also have some of that garlic juice that I'm going to start soaking all the fishes food in beforing putting it in the tank. Anything else I should do for this tang?

engineeronh2o
01/15/2010, 07:52 PM
How big is your tank, and what (if anything) could cause stress? Is the PBT eating, and maybe add a little garlic to the food.

MeuserReef
01/15/2010, 08:24 PM
"...and maybe add a little garlic to the food."

Ding, Ding Ding!!

When we first got our Powder Brown, it came down with ich. We tried this organic "reef safe" ich treatment with absolutely NO success. I began soaking the food in Garlic Extreme and within a few weeks, all of the Ich spots were gone. I soak at least one feeding per day in garlic (usually frozen cubes) as a preventative measure.

I have to agree with CRVZ regarding the extra stress introduced by the quarantine process. I lost a Kole Tang this way once.

Good Luck!

Chris27
01/15/2010, 09:10 PM
Garlic is not a medication and garlic will not break the life cycle of the parasite.

Garlic will however make food taste a little better (as it does for us) and entice a fish to eat just a little bit more. A good diet is perhaps the most important aspect of keeping healthy fish, but it's magical powers are limited.

Good quarantine practice is the only surefire way to ensure a healthy, parasite free tank. Although a healthy immune system aids a fish in fighting off different ailments, they will eventually succumb to whatever is introduced into the tank by means of stress or other factors.

It's just as easy to loose a fish in QT as it is in the DT, but the survivability rate of treating a fish in QT is much greater then crossing your fingers and hoping for survival in an untreated DT.

SDguy
01/15/2010, 10:39 PM
My whole tank, including my PBT broke out with ich after the move/upgrade. It got VERY bad. But all the fish still acted normally and ate normally. They just looked like hell :) Eventually, everyone shook it off, except, ironically, the cleaner wrasse that I had for over a year :(

Chris27
01/16/2010, 07:17 AM
My whole tank, including my PBT broke out with ich after the move/upgrade. It got VERY bad. But all the fish still acted normally and ate normally. They just looked like hell :) Eventually, everyone shook it off, except, ironically, the cleaner wrasse that I had for over a year :(

That is where QT pays off, no matter how bad you stress the fish they will never break out with Crypt because if done properly it simply won't be in the tank.