PDA

View Full Version : Switching beta fresh to salt

hoffy02
01/15/2010, 05:56 PM
Sorry for the supernoob question :hmm4:

I have read of changing freshwater fish to saltwater but cant find anything on the Beta fish...

I know there are marine beta but can you switch a freshwater one through a period of acclimation?

I am building a 120 in wall that will be a mixed reef. My daughter has a small beta tank in her room and I know the question of dropping him in is coming so I figured I would get the answer before hand.

If it can be done what would be the proper method? time? acclimation process?

If it cant be done simply reply with "idiot"

Thanks peoples!

mandingCa
01/15/2010, 06:01 PM
i am very interested in this...you got me thinking...my daughter also has a betta that would be neat in my nano...

BethanyM
01/15/2010, 06:16 PM
Please don't try this!! Reef tanks are such a different environment than their requirements, PH, flow, salinity.

I think it would be best to tell your daughter her betta is happy getting all the food to himself in his little tank. Mr. Betta doesn't like to share.

LifeAquatic
01/15/2010, 06:17 PM
Im not sure that can be done.

bertoni
01/15/2010, 07:25 PM
Marine betta are a completely different species than the freshwater fish of that name. Only a few fish that live in saltwater can survive in saltwater, and most of those are pufferfish, I think.

hoffy02
01/15/2010, 07:33 PM
thanks peoples..
I wasnt going to try it without knowing if it would work first.. just curious if anyone had any info either way..

thanks for your help as always..

Elysia
01/15/2010, 07:39 PM
Actually, people have success w/ fancy guppies and various mollies (many of which are brackish species), but, as mentioned, the common marine "betta," or comet, is actually Calloplesiops altivelis, which is not an "air breather" and grows to over six inches.

Joshua H.
01/15/2010, 07:48 PM
I remember posting a thread similar to this when i first started saltwater and somone told me that it might be possible to convert a freshwater fish to salt. The thread said that it would take years and years of breeding before it's done. Slowly raising the salinity level as the fish breed until eventualy they get used to it. I'm quessing that when the fish breed, the fry are then kinda imune to the higher salinity level and then those can take a little higher level then breed and on and on. But I'm sure just one fish will not workout. It'll be a painful guarenteed death. I think mr beta is perfectly happy where he's at:fish2:

bertoni
01/15/2010, 07:48 PM
That's definitely true of molly fishes. I didn't know about the guppies.

Elysia
01/15/2010, 07:53 PM
I was surprised when I heard about the guppies as well, but someone had very slowly converted her breeding fancy guppies over to salt, and had them living with her seahorses for some time. The mollies, if you start w/ ones that are in brackish conditions, can be converted to full salt safely in less than 12 hours.

keegoaz
01/15/2010, 08:02 PM
almost all species of fresh water beta will not survive in salt water brackish is as far as you can get a select few

RGC
01/15/2010, 08:09 PM
Mollies and guppies do much better w/ some salt in the water. I believe they do very well in brackish water/ Black mollies were used years ago in salt water tanks before the huge variety of fish were available like they are today. I've never known anyone that has had success changing Bettas to salt water and I've bred Bettas since about 1992.

Rybren
01/15/2010, 08:25 PM
You can also bring Bumblebee Gobies over to the salty side. I brought 3 over. Unfortunately, they're so small that somebody eventually has them for a snack.

Paul B (of 40 yr old reef fame) has a couple in his tank right now.

hoffy02
01/16/2010, 06:53 AM
LOL! by the time i could "Breed" the salt into this Beta, my daughter will be in college!! I'll make it up to her with a pretty Damsel....... :) Im kidding... Thanks again for all the replies

mandingCa
01/16/2010, 12:13 PM
yep...after doing a little research, only marine bettas are saltwater loving.