PDA

View Full Version : Temporary octopus worth it?

KSzegi
01/15/2010, 05:59 PM
Sure would like to have some opinions ..... have a newly set up 180 gallon tank. Has been cycled and running for only a couple weeks. Have over 350 pounds of rock and apparently a problem with some unwanted hitchhikers. All of the tunicates, feather dusters, 2 small anemones, some of the encrusting sponge and coral, snails, small ricordea etc. etc .... have disappeared. I'm aware of at least 6 mantis and at least that many gorilla crabs - which I'm guessing are the problems. Have tried trapping them unsuccessfully and am at wits end. Just way too much rock to remove from the tank. I've read that a possible solution would be to introduce an octopus temporarily and then remove it once the offenders are eaten. Well .... have a very small octopus that was in our stone crab traps today and am wondering if it will be worth trying? I figure he will also eat our clean-up crew and possibly the clams and mollusks on the rock - along with the porcelain crabs and maybe even the blennies. Kind of a catch 22 situation ....... anybody have any advice or a darn good reason not to do this besides having to replace some of the desired critters?

shroutk3
01/15/2010, 06:02 PM
he'd prolly be really hard to get out.

tahoe61
01/15/2010, 06:07 PM
You will have to remove anything you do not want eaten and make sure the tank is completely closed. I think it is a good way to get rid of all your bad hitch hikers, but if you can not guarantee that it will not get out then I would not try one, How are you going to get it out, once its eaten every thing, that is a big tank with alot of LR.

KSzegi
01/15/2010, 06:13 PM
Have glass covers on the main tank ..... but getting him out is a good question! Figured I'd have to just cross that bridge when it got to that point .... once he's eaten everything I was hoping that he'd then be hungry enough to manually feed and scoop out?

noahm
01/15/2010, 06:15 PM
I have heard similar results with smaller moray. Maybe easier to get out and shouldn't eat your mollusks.

andrewkw
01/15/2010, 06:20 PM
Or just keep the octopus. They are really neat but short lived. If you get am adult he may only have months to live. Most live 2 years max.

sedor
01/15/2010, 06:29 PM
I don't think glass covers are enough to keep an octopus in. I've heard they will actually push the top off of the tank and crawl out the side. You would have to secure it similar to if you were keeping a reptile.

tahoe61
01/15/2010, 06:29 PM
Have glass covers on the main tank ..... but getting him out is a good question! Figured I'd have to just cross that bridge when it got to that point .... once he's eaten everything I was hoping that he'd then be hungry enough to manually feed and scoop out? You can always try the clam in the glass jar trick. I feed my octo bottle neck clams that you buy at the grocery store, just put one in a glass bottle after the octo has not eaten for a couple days and he should go right in after it.

KSzegi
01/15/2010, 06:37 PM
I know they can be great escape artists - but this one is only about 4" ....head about the size of your thumb ..... so think if I weight the covers - or duct tape them it should keep him in.

I just looked at photos of the tank from just a week ago and wanted to cry .... the losses are amazing so I think I'm gonna give this a go. I will have either a success story or a case in point of why you don't want to do this!!

If anybody is interested I'll keep you posted on how the saga plays out! Maybe all the planets will align and it will work!

KSzegi
01/15/2010, 07:10 PM
Another thought before I jump into this octopus thing ..... I've been blaming my disappearing inverts/sessile creatures on the mantis and gorilla crabs.... especially since things seem to disappear at night ....but I also have noticed quite a few limpets. Could these be more of the real problem or is it just a combination of all of the above? Guess I could hope - they would be easier to get rid of at least. And I hate to say it but I'm getting rather fond of one of the mantis shrimp .... extremely colorful and rather personable - even if he is trap savvy!

jbird69
01/15/2010, 07:20 PM
I really doubt an octopus of that size is going to take care of your problem. I think theres a better chance that the octopus will become another victim. Taking all that rock out and manually removing the problem will be a nightmare, but a necessary nightmare.