PDA

View Full Version : Return pipe from tank to sump help

ken6217
01/15/2010, 10:46 PM
I am re-doing the plumbing on my 70 gallon Oceanic tank. What is the correct way of returning the water back to the sump? Should the 1" PVC pipe terminate at the water level or below it? Also should it terminate with a 45 or 90? I don't want excess noise and I don't want too much turbulence since have an internal skimmer.

Thanks,
Ken

Giannis86
01/16/2010, 04:26 AM
I would do the following to minimize noise.
Take a thick piece of pvc pipe, slightly lower than the height of your sump, and cut large holes in the bottom (large enough so that no detritus gets stuck).
Then put an end cap and drill 2 holes.
1 to put the overflow pipe in (doesnt have to fit 100%) and another hole for letting air escape. Alternatively you can make only one hole; overflow pipe hole slightly bigger

Fill the pipe with LR rubble and you should be set to go.
Also if you want to minimize noise, make sure you dont use many 90's in the drain pipe. If possible use 45's only

ken6217
01/16/2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the reply but I don't quite understand what you mean. It also sounds like something that I would have to do maintainence on from time to time since I am putting rock???? in the return pipe.
Ken

shaggss
01/17/2010, 07:10 AM
There is lots of info on this site to help you.
a few options:

1. what 86 is saying is, get a bigger diameter piece of PVC than your return is. Drill holes around the bottom of it. Place in sump with holes on bottom. fill it with rubble. have yr return running into this. that way the water will escape out the bottom and hopefully diffuse most bubbles.

2. As a general rule have the return under water to reduce noise,

3. Another option: have the return run horizontal into yr sump, place a tee fitting perpendicular on the end of this. add a piece of PVC pipe to extend under water. that way the bubbles diffuse out the top.......clear as mud?

HTH's

Daimyo68
01/17/2010, 10:27 AM
Do you have a pic of your setup now?
Are you using a sock in the sump?
What kind of overflow are you using? HoB, built in (Reef Ready Oceanic Tech Tank)?

Have a look at my Albums, I just finished plumbing my tank a couple weeks ago. (My tank is not the tech tank) The pics aren't the best, camera was broke at the time, but you get the general idea. My tank has the BeanAnimal drain system.

I used 1" pvc for returns, and then 3/4 loc-line into the tank. I looked for 1" loc-line but couldn't find it. I'm assuming they don't make it. :(