PDA

View Full Version : tangs without QT?

jkirschner0484
01/15/2010, 11:45 PM
i have decided to add a chocolate tang to my 90g. i have had a sailfin in the tank for about 2 months. i do not have a QT tank so i am wondering what would be the best way to introduce the chocolate tang in the tank with miminal to no stress...

ilvfsh
01/16/2010, 02:38 AM
Your begging for trouble if you dont QT tangs. IMHO

hybridazn
01/16/2010, 06:03 AM
well if you are looking to add the fish with the least amount of stress it can be done, but how big is your salfin and how big is the chocolate your adding? asking because i have found it to be easier to add a smaller tang with a bigger tang so the aggression is minimal. i have a salfin and he is the biggest in my tank so he leaves my smaller yellow, pbt and blue tang alone.

also when adding him to the tank it would probably be best to add with the lights off. let the other fish think its bed time and they all get comfortable then add the new fish.

AngelsAnonymous
01/16/2010, 09:26 AM
I would QT no matter what. If your worried about aggressive, you can try dividing the tank with eggcrate or putting a mirrow up at one end. The tang would rather fight its on kind (reflection) then another different type of tang. Just watch out the fish don't hurt themselves.

jkirschner0484
01/16/2010, 10:05 AM
i always turn the lights off for 2 hours when introducing a new fish. the sailfin is about 3" and the chocolate is about the same. he is at the point where he is starting to morph into his adult brown color. how long would it take to cycle a QT tank if i were to throw a powerhead with prefilter that has been in my 90g since i started it? that would "seed" it right?

MrMoses
01/16/2010, 10:19 AM
Screw QT tanks, make the fish store do it for you .

WuHT
01/16/2010, 11:00 AM
it should be instantaneous.. as the biological filter media is simply being moved.

The biggest gripe i hear about having to set up a QT is the space (and the need for another tank.)