PDA

View Full Version : Help...Red Hair Algae!

Mako72
01/16/2010, 07:02 AM
Hello, I have a 29 Gallon tank that is 5 months old. It is not crowded at all, if anything it is understocked. I had been running a carbon filter cartridge in it...I pulled it out weeks ago. Now I am getting red hair algae....I only feed the tank 1-2 times a week. Any help in diagnosing the problem would be great...the tank has very good flow. Lighting is good.

rond310
01/16/2010, 07:37 AM
I had that algea once and put some turbo snails in and they ate it all in a couple of days.

Mako72
01/16/2010, 12:30 PM
anyone know what caused it?

schneijt
01/16/2010, 01:47 PM
I hope you are using a protein skimmer, as skimming is one of the best ways to remove organics from your system. Also, running a little bit of carbon and GFO to remove organics and phosphates, respectively, is a good practice. As far as why it popped up and/or where it came from, it probably popped up because there was a rise in nutrients or something that it loves feeding on, and I'm sure it came into your tank on/in your live rock, or on a frag plug possibly.

With the addition of maybe a few hermit crabs, snails, and maybe one or two emerald crabs, along with working on reducing nutrients in the water column, you'll beat this in time. Algae can be stubborn, but if you work at it, you can beat just about any algae problem.

-Joe

strangenames13
01/16/2010, 02:20 PM
The same stuff showed up in my tank after adding some live rock of questionable origin. The only things that would touch it were mexican turbos and sea hares.

jmking33
01/17/2010, 11:07 PM
do you use r/o water? You have to many organics in the water and the algae is feeding off it. do some water changes and use red slime remover. it worked like a charm for me.