PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock Hitch Hikers

Outerlimits
01/16/2010, 08:19 AM
I have a 75 that is a FOWLR tank. Its been up and running for 10 years. I have a Yellow Tang, Perc. Clown, Blennie for fish. Started to add a few corals, a BTA, and a few Zoa's. Its got about 40-50 lbs of Live rock in it now and I wanted to add 20-30 lbs more. I have seen the threads about Fla. live rock and the Bio-deversity it brings, also some unwanted pests. My question is, will introducing this rock, with possibly mantis shrimp, gorrilla crabs, ect. wreak havoc with my tank, before I can trap them all? Should I just go with Fiji, or Tonga, and cure it myself. I am on the East Coast, and going to So. Fla next month. I was going to drive by Tampa and pick up some more rock, but now am having second thoughts about introducing it into my tank. Thanks in advance for the advice.

spleify
01/16/2010, 08:45 AM
I think any time you add new LR, you run the risk of introducing unwanted hitch hikers. A personal preference for me I like Fiji LR.

ANything you go with would be a good idea to cure it first, to try and avoid introducing things you dont want and to help avoid a small cycle in your tank.

AngelsAnonymous
01/16/2010, 09:35 AM
I would cure it first and maybe lift it out of the tank and run saltwater from a pump through out every part of the rock, making sure there are no unwanted hitch hikers. I have gotten some nasty crabs from just adding rock without checking.