PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide - Skimmer choice

butchik
01/16/2010, 08:31 AM
Okay, I've narrowed my choices to 3 skimmers that meet the footprint requirements I need for my sump at very good prices. It will be for a 40 gal breeder and it will be in a 15 gal sump. Here are my choices and would like to get any feedback:
1. Eshopps PSK-100 - $130
2. Bubble Magus Pro-mini (NAC3+) - $120
3. Octopus NWB-110 - $160

Eshopps has very good reviews but the PSK-100 model doesn't have a bubble plate, I don't really know is the benefit of the bubble plate. Bubble Magus again has very good reviews but not much that I can find for the NAC3+ and not a lot of vendors out there. Octopus is also good and the build also looks good, but I've read people wanting to do mods on them to make them perform better. I was set on the Octopus until I read these feedbacks. Any assistance in deciding is greatly appreciated.

Chris27
01/16/2010, 09:09 AM
Choose the skimmer with the best pump - that is the heart and soul of it and ultimately determines how well it will perform.

Having said that, I have no idea what pump the Eshopps uses and the octo one that is used on the NWB-110 isn't the best either. I've heard good things about the aquabee pumps, and I think deltec uses them, so they can't be too bad.

butchik
01/17/2010, 07:04 AM
Just wanted to see if anyone else has any opinion. Thanks.

Nereaga
01/17/2010, 07:11 AM
In the same price range would be the Vertex line of skimmers. I REALLY like mine. I have had it a month now and it is your true, set and forget skimmer. Once I got it dialed in, I have not had to mess with it. Skims some dark funky nog... Gotta love it!

I would go with a Vertex IN80.

Brad

dixiedog
01/17/2010, 08:01 AM
Okay, I've narrowed my choices to 3 skimmers that meet the footprint requirements I need for my sump at very good prices. It will be for a 40 gal breeder and it will be in a 15 gal sump. Here are my choices and would like to get any feedback:
1. Eshopps PSK-100 - $130
2. Bubble Magus Pro-mini (NAC3+) - $120
3. Octopus NWB-110 - $160

Eshopps has very good reviews but the PSK-100 model doesn't have a bubble plate, I don't really know is the benefit of the bubble plate. Bubble Magus again has very good reviews but not much that I can find for the NAC3+ and not a lot of vendors out there. Octopus is also good and the build also looks good, but I've read people wanting to do mods on them to make them perform better. I was set on the Octopus until I read these feedbacks. Any assistance in deciding is greatly appreciated.

I think you have picked three winners right there, and you can't go too wrong with any of them.

I recently bought the Octopus 110 for my 29G, and have no complaints - but it's still pretty new and the bioload is still very light, so I can't give it a realistic evaluation yet. I'm curious that the pump has no strainer and no way to attach one ... I could see this as a potential issue someday.

But I looked hard at all three of these before buying the Octopus, and found no glaringly bad reports on any of them. The deciding factor was that my LFS carried the Octopus at a good price, and I like to support the local guy when I can.

Good luck!

butchik
01/17/2010, 10:41 AM
Chris,

Thanks for your input, this is exactly why I kinda' held off on the Octo but with Dixiedog's statement, I might go with it...

Brad,

Thanks, I looked at the Vertex IN80 but the footprint is just bigger than my sump can take --- 8 X 10, vs. the Octo at 6 X 10. I ruled it out basically due to this.

Dixiedog,

Thanks for your feedback.

Chris27
01/17/2010, 12:29 PM
Chris,

Thanks for your input, this is exactly why I kinda' held off on the Octo but with Dixiedog's statement, I might go with it...

Brad,

Thanks, I looked at the Vertex IN80 but the footprint is just bigger than my sump can take --- 8 X 10, vs. the Octo at 6 X 10. I ruled it out basically due to this.

Dixiedog,

Thanks for your feedback.

No problem, for what it's worth, Octopus makes a very good skimmer and I myself run one - but with a Bubble Blaster pump. I've had a few friends with the octo pump, and they have had issues with it, so I just wanted to give you a heads up. As for the acrylic craftsmanship, it's really pretty good, and you can always upgrade the pump down the road when you get a few extra bucks. If you search through some of the mod threads, you'll be able to mod it just a little for even better performance.

jmking33
01/17/2010, 11:22 PM
not to thread hijack (as I swoop in like a somalian pirate), how does that bubble blaster pump work for you Chris27? your liking it>?

tarpon12
01/18/2010, 12:08 AM
I run a Reef Octopus NW150 in my 14 tall sump for a 54 corner. The footprint for a 14 tall is the same base dimensions as a 10 gallon. I am very happy with the 150, no mods, and it started to produce skimate on the second day. I almost got the 110 but when I checked out Premium aquatics, they offered free shipping on 175 and up so I got the 150for $184 and it arrived in three days. Couldnt be happier.

Chris27
01/18/2010, 10:10 AM
not to thread hijack (as I swoop in like a somalian pirate), how does that bubble blaster pump work for you Chris27? your liking it>?

I love it - here is a link to another thread with some video's and others experience.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1732509

Chris