PDA

View Full Version : Stingray - Dasyatis Kuhlii

troels
01/16/2010, 11:36 AM
I mm thinking of purchasing above ray, and have a few questions:

I'm keeping strict quarantine - nothing enters main tank without 3 weeks in cupramine. Now I know that rays cannot be treated with copper. that leads to two questions:

Can rays carry ich ? - I cannot recall ever having seen a shark or ray with visible infection, but suspect it might be able to carry it in for example the gills. If yes I do not see any option for getting him guaranteed free of ich, eventhough I am planning for 2 month of quarantine.

Just how sensitive are they to copper ? can the tolerate being in a quarantine tank that has been treated with copper ? copper is not measurable and I am running carbon and cuprisorp consistently, but I am sure that trace amounts would be present.

jessicaedwards
01/16/2010, 04:20 PM
Ich doesnt attack Elasmobranchs(sharks and rays). Although Im not sure about marine velvet...

troels
01/16/2010, 04:57 PM
Thanks - good news I guess, any links ?

yukonblizzard
01/16/2010, 06:38 PM
Do not treat Sharks/Rays ever with copper. It is terrible for them, Just keep a close eye on them for a few weeks, and dont treat them if they dont need it. I always wanted this species of ray, they are beautiful! HTH

troels
01/17/2010, 05:56 AM
Alex, thanks - that is indeed my plan, although I'll probably keep him/her for at least 6 weeks. I am aware that copper is a no go, just not sure if they are EXTREMELY sensitive or if they can handle the unavoidable trace amounts in a tank that has previously been treated with copper.

yukonblizzard
01/17/2010, 07:48 AM
just not sure if they are EXTREMELY sensitive or if they can handle the unavoidable trace amounts in a tank that has previously been treated with copper.

I am sure you could get away with trace amounts, just be sure to clean the tank well before you use it for these rays.