PDA

View Full Version : zoanthids & pest question

stanislaus
01/16/2010, 01:23 PM
I have a 2 inch by 2 inch rock that I recently obtained with 3 different types of zoanthids. Upon acquiring this new coral, I inspected the polyps in a bowl of tankwater with a bright light and took a baster to blast any foreign matter that might be within the polyps using water within the bowl.
The coral is now in the very front of my tank so that I can easily see and monitor it. I have noticed that there are some very fine filaments coming from the center of the polyp cluster that reaches out toward the sand. There are several strands of the fine filiments so I believe that a spaghetti worm in within the center of my polyp cluster. I would like some helpful ideas/tips on how to safely kill this pest without hurting the zoanthids. Some reef keepers on this forum may feel that this is nothing to worry about but I would like to kill it to prevent the possiblity of the worm multiplying within my aquarium.

Thank you for your time and suggestions.
mike

noahm
01/16/2010, 01:31 PM
They are totally harmless and beneficial for eating detritus. Why kill just the sake of killing?

stanislaus
01/16/2010, 01:37 PM
As I said in my previous post, some may view this worm as being harmless but either way, it is my tank and I don't want this particular creature as an addition. If anyone has any advice on how to successfully kill it without disturbing or hacking into the zoanthids, please let me know.

Thank you