PDA

View Full Version : should i use vitamin c

reefbuildr
01/16/2010, 04:18 PM
i just have a 24g aquapod. has been running for about 15 months. never used vitamin c but i know some people that do. what is it for and should i be using it. if i need it whats a good brand any answers would be good thanks.

Jsin
01/16/2010, 05:56 PM
Vitamin C is a type of carbon source. If you have a good skimmer then you can try it, but do not use it if you do not have a good skimmer. You may end up with more problems. There is a good log thread about it on the zoa forum. You can get all the info from there. There is a vitamin web site that sells pharmaceutical grade vitamin C that alot of people are using. I cannot remember the name of the site but the forum will let you know, plus there is a discount code for new buyers. Hope this helps a bit.

Pufferpunk
02/04/2010, 05:37 PM
I know this thread is a little old but I was wondering how the dosing is going. VC works much better than any other carbon dosing, because it also aids in collagen production/repair, which is why it hrlps with melting zoas & also cures zoapox in high doses.

VITAMIN C DOSING CHART
Here are the directions:
Use this product:
http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=10178&at=0
[violation]

To figure out how much to use, decide if you want to simply improve coral growth, spread, and color. If so, then you should dose around 5 ppm twice daily (down to 2-3 ppm works also). If you are having problems with coral or fish health, dose up to around 30 ppm twice daily.

Calculate the total net number of gallons in your tank (minus rocks, sand, etc). Enter that number here ______.

You will now need to do a little math. The amounts below are for 100 gallons of water so if you have 50 net gallons, cut the amounts shown below in half etc.

Dosing amounts using Iherb product:
1/4 tsp=1112 mg.

For every 100 gallons:

5 ppm ----- 1892 mg VC
10 ppm ---- 3785 mg VC
15 ppm ---- 5677 mg VC
20 ppm ---- 7570 mg VC
25 ppm ---- 9462 mg VC
30 ppm ---- 11355 mg VC

After you have figured out how much you want to dose at each dosing, enter that number here _____. This is your dose to be used twice a day.

Notes:
*Be sure your pH and alk are within normal reef limits before starting. Adjust if needed. Monitor weekly.
*Shoot for a ppm of around 5 or lower if only dosing for improved coral growth, coloration, and spread. Shoot for higher amounts up to 30 ppm if you are having melting zoas or closed zoas and look for the causes of your problems as you dose. Check for high nitrates, pests, zoa pox, predators, and unstable water conditions.
*Dose low amounts and increase the amount slowly over the course of a few days to a couple weeks.
* If you notice an algae bloom (white stringy stuff) or increased scum on your glass then cut back by half until it disappears.
* Watch your skimmer, it will start to skim more.
* Dose the amount twice a day in a fast moving area of your sump or overflow. You may dilute the vitamin c in ro/di water then pour into overflow. If adding to sump, try and add the vitamin c after filtration such as skimmers and reactors. *Keep your Vitamin C bottle in the refrigerator. * If you have a question, ask here. I do my best to check these threads daily.
* The instructions in this guide and throughout this thread are based on using pure Sodium Ascorbate, not vitamin c pills and other non-buffered forms of vitamin c.

Be sure to take some "before" pics!