PDA

View Full Version : Need help setting up aquanotes

Orr2003
01/16/2010, 05:01 PM
A buddy gave me a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4GHz 802.11g with speed booster router. Model number WRT54GS

I just plugged it up and everything worked. I installed the Linksys EasyLink Advisor and it shows my aquacontroller 3.

I can access the ACIII by typing in the AC3 IP into my browser.

But I can not get Aquanotes lite to work. Everytime I open Aquanotes it says connected at the bottom of the main window but when I try to do anything I get the "aquacontroller not responding" message.

I really have no idea how to set aquanotes up so I could use some help.

Thanks
Scott

Orr2003
01/16/2010, 05:09 PM
Got it. Tank Database then config tab. I was trying the main config tab at the top of the main window.

It is working fine now.

Orr2003
01/16/2010, 07:38 PM
Ok now that I got all that working I am trying to set it up so I can access over the internet.

I have set up a DynDNS account but I have a few basic questions.

This will be like a walk thru type deal. As I dont really know anything about this stuff.

Simple questions are:

On the DynDNS add new host name screen should the IP address be my AC3 IP?

The Host name is just whatever I want it to be right? It doesnt have to have port number or IP number in it right?

Should I check the Mail Routing? To let me config email routing?

After I get this then I have a few questions about Port Forwarding. But lets get this taken care of first

Thanks guys as this kind of stuff is not my cup of tea.

aquamanic
01/16/2010, 08:45 PM
On the DynDNS add new host name screen should the IP address be my AC3 IP?

No, it's the WAN address of your cable or DSL modem

The Host name is just whatever I want it to be right? It doesnt have to have port number or IP number in it right?

That's correct. The first part you create, the second part you select from a list of choices.

Should I check the Mail Routing? To let me config email routing?

No, leave all those services unchecked.

Orr2003
01/16/2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks Alan

I would have done it wrong.

Ok now that I have the DynDNS set up. I need to go into my router config port range forward page and do what?

The port range forward page shows:

Application Start End Protocol IP address Enable

All of these are blank except protocol is either both, TCP, or UDP

So what do I put in each blank?

Orr2003
01/16/2010, 11:03 PM
WOW

I figured it out. I can access the AC3 from my blackberry but it will not let me click on anything. It just shows the Status datalog Graph Clocksetup Season Table Program Editor but will not let me click on any of them on my blackberry.

Any idea what to do now?

aquamanic
01/17/2010, 05:46 AM
You're going to have a hard time running the browser app from your Blackberry. I don't think RIM supports all the software involved. Better would be to use something like Ken's TankManager program. Go to http://www.kenargo.com and look in his software section.

Orr2003
01/17/2010, 08:40 AM
You're going to have a hard time running the browser app from your Blackberry. I don't think RIM supports all the software involved. Better would be to use something like Ken's TankManager program. Go to http://www.kenargo.com and look in his software section.

Thanks Alan

So I should download the tank manager from my blackberry?

When creating an account what do I put for graph height, graph width, graph sub sampling and what would be a good refresh time?

And what about the preferences email account activity? What do this do?

Sorry for all the questions guys but this stuff is like a foreign language to me. LOL

aquamanic
01/17/2010, 08:54 AM
Tank manager is a web app. You don't really download anything. You register, configure but access it via your BB browser. Store it as a bookmark.

The defaults should work just fine for your graph options and sampling.

the email account activity sends you an email whenever someone (you) log into TankManager. I'd leave it off. I think it's more for a larger organization that might be using Apex controllers and has multiple people using TankManager.

Orr2003
01/17/2010, 09:38 AM
Ok cool.

So I just leave the graph and sampling blank? Then the defaults will be assigned?

Tank manager is a web app. You don't really download anything. You register, configure but access it via your BB browser. Store it as a bookmark.

The defaults should work just fine for your graph options and sampling.

the email account activity sends you an email whenever someone (you) log into TankManager. I'd leave it off. I think it's more for a larger organization that might be using Apex controllers and has multiple people using TankManager.

Orr2003
01/17/2010, 09:54 AM
Ok I got the account info done.

now what do I put for the tank info?

Display name?

Host URL?

Port?

User?

Password?

aquamanic
01/17/2010, 10:59 AM
for name put whatever you want
host URL is your DynDNS name you created without the "www" or the port, for example "myapex.homedns.org"
port is your port number for the Apex
user is your Apex userid, default "admin"
pw is your apex password, default "1234"

Orr2003
01/17/2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks again Alan

You have been a huge help. I finally got the tank manager up and running on my blackberry. I had to update my firmware to 3.4 too.

but now I am getting this error message when I try to load the graphs on my home PC.
Error loading file: data_default.txt

Any suggestions on this?

aquamanic
01/17/2010, 02:00 PM
If the problem is with TankManager's graphs, you'll have to send a PM to Ken (kenargo). It's probably something simple. Your graphs run OK via the Apex software?

Since your controller is accessible from the web you should check out Russ's website, reeftronics. He's got a neat web hosting solution for the Apex/ACIII and offers some good graphing. You can look at my tank with this link:
http://www.reeftronics.net/alan/apex-status

Orr2003
01/17/2010, 02:07 PM
If the problem is with TankManager's graphs, you'll have to send a PM to Ken (kenargo). It's probably something simple. Your graphs run OK via the Apex software?

Since your controller is accessible from the web you should check out Russ's website, reeftronics. He's got a neat web hosting solution for the Apex/ACIII and offers some good graphing. You can look at my tank with this link:
http://www.reeftronics.net/alan/apex-status

I have an aquacontroller 3. I dont even see graphs on the tank manager.
But my question is when I type my AC3 IP address in internet explorer and access my AC3 that way I can not see the graphs from my computer. The first time it game me the data_default.txt error now it doesnt show the graph and I dont get the error message either.

Orr2003
01/17/2010, 02:20 PM
Nevermind

They are working fine now.

Who knows LOL

aquamanic
01/17/2010, 04:14 PM
In Ken's program, click on any of the values (temp, PH, ORP) or outlets and you'll get a graph. You can then select 'previous' and filter for multi-day output. It's pretty slick.

ps..I like your Rush "Free Will" signature!

Orr2003
01/17/2010, 04:55 PM
In Ken's program, click on any of the values (temp, PH, ORP) or outlets and you'll get a graph. You can then select 'previous' and filter for multi-day output. It's pretty slick.

ps..I like your Rush "Free Will" signature!

Ah yeah sweet I see the graphs now on the tank manager. Thanks
I think I am starting to get the hang of this stuff.

The graphs are a very cool feature.

I also signed up on the reeftronics site. And I see the reeftronics graphs allow you to save the graph to view or post at a later time.

I cant seem to figure out how to save the graph when viewed through IE on my home computer. Is there a way to save the graphs on my hard drive?

BTW Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson & Neil Peart Rock!