PDA

View Full Version : What's the advantage of a shallow frag tank?

jmatt
01/17/2010, 03:37 PM
I understand that one can grow out frags in a shallow tank since they are best served by keeping them near the surface for maximum light, but is there a disadvantage to keeping them shallow in a deep tank?

I am planning on a DIY frag system utilizing rubbermaid style tubs instead of tanks. Someone suggested using underbed storage tubs since they are only 7" deep, and that sounds great. But then I began thinking, wouldn't the frags be better served being kept shallow in a deep tank since that would increase the overall gallonage of the system?

In other words, all other things being equal, if I could set up shallow frag racks in a 17 gallon 7" deep tub or a 50 gallon 18" deep tub, which should I choose? What's the downside to setting up shallow racks in a deep bed?

Jeff
01/17/2010, 04:04 PM
If you don't have fish in there, you wont need much depth. The deeper the water, the less light will reach the corals. Also, I wouldn't use anything by Rubbermaid that isn't made for food service anymore. I used to but I don't want to take a chance after reading this: http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic101230-9-1.aspx
I have a 72"X24"X12" glass tank I am setting up at the moment for grow out and fragging.

jmatt
01/17/2010, 04:54 PM
The deeper the water, the less light will reach the corals.

Yes, but assume I put the racks 4" from the surface in either case, the 17g and the 50g. Are they not served better by being in a tub / system with more water?

Or are there other considerations I'm not thinking of, like not enough flow in a deeper tank, too difficult to keep the racks upright in deeper tubs, etc?

CtotheA
01/17/2010, 06:47 PM
Beat me to it...

Jackri
01/17/2010, 06:50 PM
I think a lot is personal preference. Why have a ton more volume of water when really you may be wasting 75% of it.

I built a 36 x 48 inch frag tank out of acrylic that is 12" deep. One 250w pendant lights the whole thing although I want another to prevent some shading. The one does cover everything though.

Jeff
01/17/2010, 06:59 PM
I'm just thinking that surface area is more important then volume in the case of a frag tank. I guess raising the corals up on higher racks and putting live rock underneath would be efficient but in my new setup I just added a large sump (bigger then the tank in volume). I do agree, it's all personnel preference. This time around I setup the tank in the basement so I had lots of room to play with.

jmatt
01/17/2010, 08:29 PM
Why have a ton more volume of water when really you may be wasting 75% of it.

Larger volumes of water are more stable. Btw, what did an acrylic frag tank that size cost you?

jmatt
01/17/2010, 08:32 PM
This time around I setup the tank in the basement so I had lots of room to play with.

I'm doing likewise -- but I'm trying to figure out the optimal arrangement of tanks, tubs etc. It's beside the point actually, I did some measuring and I'd never be able to stack a 30g tub over the 32g brute trash can that will be my fuge, so I'm back to looking at shallow options.

Jeff
01/17/2010, 08:37 PM
This time around I setup the tank in the basement so I had lots of room to play with.

I'm doing likewise -- but I'm trying to figure out the optimal arrangement of tanks, tubs etc. It's beside the point actually, I did some measuring and I'd never be able to stack a 30g tub over the 32g brute trash can that will be my fuge, so I'm back to looking at shallow options.

Glasscages is making shallow frag tanks and their reputation has increased a lot over the last couple years. I think they are the best deal around right now for custom tanks.
BTW, read this link by Eric Borneman before using Brute trashcans: http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic101230-9-1.aspx I used to use them and didnt seem to have any problems but you never know.

Damsels R Cool
01/17/2010, 11:26 PM
it has to do with the light shallower water equals more penetration to reach the coral

nowlan
01/18/2010, 07:22 AM
Ultimately, shallow allows more light.

But having a sump, allows more benefits, such as surface skim via overflow, DSB, plus water volume in general.

Also using a shallow tank, easier to do water flow for sps.
Secondly, you wont get wet sleaves reaching into it, compared to normal tank.
Especially if you bump something.

cree
01/18/2010, 08:14 AM
one benifit to a deeper tank would be being able to dubble stack your corals. High light ones on top and low light/low matenince corals on the bottom. just make sure you can access all areas of the tank or youll constantly be knocking corals.

LPS_Blasto
01/18/2010, 01:31 PM
I'm using a 29g tank with a 20L sump and a 20H refugium. There's almost as much water in the sump and fuge as the whole tank. Total water volume is 55g.

The 29g tank is pretty tall compared to most frag tanks. At 18" it takes quite a lot of light to penetrate all the way to the bottom. But the racks are stair stepped so I can grow low light LPS and mushrooms on the bottom racks and SPS on the top racks. Best of both worls IMO.

As to the original post of using deeper tanks for the water volume - why not? There's no rule saying you HAVE to use no more than 12" depth for a frag tank. It's your setup man, so if thats what you want to do then I say go for it. :beer:

Post some pics!!

Daemonfly
01/21/2010, 11:12 AM
Bought a house, new setup in the works. 50g rubbermaid stock tank for frags (nice & shallow) and a 100g sump, to start with ;). Will probably keep the 100g tank half filled, so that's about 100g total system volume. A lot better than the 20g/10g setup I have now.