PDA

View Full Version : saltwater compatibility.....need some help?

andrewsky
01/17/2010, 09:45 PM
i looked up the fish the fish that i wanted for my 30 gallon saltwater aquarium. i looked up what corals and fish they can go with and i looked at some compatibility charts. i kind of do get which ones go with which but just need a little more help. i want to get 5 maybe 6 fish if i'm able to get that many for my 30 gallon, but just tell me if i am overstocking i think i might be im not sure, but the fish i wanted were 2 clownfish (ones that look like percula or ocellaris), green or red mandarin, coral beauty and whatever other fish i see in the fish store that i like and has cool colors (any suggestions?). so if any body knows this stuff please help me?::lolspin:

Shane Hoffman
01/17/2010, 09:53 PM
It would be tough to maintain a large enough pod population in a 30 to sustain a mandarin. Are you going to have a sump. 6 fish in a 30 gallon is also pushing it. Both clowns and pygmy angels can be territorial. Maybe a couple clowns, or look at the blennies, chromis, or fire fish families. I would maybe just do 5 fish...oh ya the 6 line wrasse is awesome to. I would just only choose one type of fish that is know for being territorial in a 30. What are you doing for filtration?

Sisterlimonpot
01/17/2010, 09:54 PM
That’s pushing it. Are you planning on having a sump/fuge? Your list of 4 fish looks fine except the mandarin. You are going to have to wait 6-9 months to establish a copepod population in the tank.

andrewsky
01/17/2010, 10:18 PM
ok thanks on the information. the filtration that i am going to most likely do is a hang on protein skimmer, power head, and a 50 gallon aquaclear(i might mod it like they have the directions on this sight). and what about corals what corals and inverts can go in the tank as well with these fish?

Shane Hoffman
01/17/2010, 10:26 PM
If you get reef safe fish you can pretty much get any coral you want. Just verify your lighting is sufficient for the coral you choose. I wood avoid mixing sps and softies together in a water volume that small. SPS can be pretty touch when it comes to the toxins given off by some softies, specifically leathers.

Sisterlimonpot
01/17/2010, 10:27 PM
What corals do you want to have? The fish that you chose are reef safe so you can have whatever type of coral you want, of course you need the right lighting and proper flow.

bertoni
01/17/2010, 10:40 PM
I'd plan on three medium-sized fishes, like a pair of percula clowns and one companion of a similar size, or maybe a couple of very small fish.

rale2001
01/18/2010, 09:11 AM
I have a a true pec pair a blue devil damsel and the three strip damsel in my 35 gal and everybody is happy. I plan on getting rid of the damsels and put them in a fug when I build one and add a firefish and maybe flame angel or the coral beauty too. I'm not gonna lie tho I have been lookin at some dwarf lionfish.

rale2001
01/18/2010, 09:22 AM
I have a a true pec pair a blue devil damsel and the three strip damsel in my 35 gal and everybody is happy. I plan on getting rid of the damsels and put them in a fug when I build one and add a firefish and maybe flame angel or the coral beauty too. I'm not gonna lie tho I have been lookin at some dwarf lionfish.

Chiefsurfer
01/18/2010, 09:39 AM
The perc/oce is a good idea. If you want more fish, go smaller. Likely a good starting 3 is the pair of clowns, and some type of bottom fish, like a goby or blennie. Then you can i would say get like a firefish and a wrasse, or you could get cardinalfish(3 or so of them).