PDA

View Full Version : kalk dosing ?

stros
01/18/2010, 04:14 AM
I must have a mental block! I want to dose kalk with a dosing pump connected to my Apex controller. I am trying to figure how long it would need to run to keep up with the top off. I evaporate about 3gal per day. The dosing pump puts out 50ml per minute. I would like to split the dosing over 24hrs. For some reason I am having trouble figuring how long each hour it would need to be on? I am figuring that it has to be on about 9.30 minutes? Does this sound right? What is the formula for the exact times? Should I only dose during the night time? What would the best code for this be?
Thanks
Mark

swearint
01/18/2010, 10:25 AM
If all of your make up water is coming from kalk, your calculations are off. Three gallons is 11356 ml, that divided by 50 ml/min doasge rate equals a total ON duration of 227 minutes. Divide that over a 12 hr night, and that is about 19 minutes per hour. The following example should give you something to work with:

KALK:

Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/019:00/041:00 then ON
If Time 07:00 to 19:00 then OFF

The OSC is ON for 19 minutes and OFF for 41 minutes of every hour. This is then overridden between the hours of 7 am to 7 pm, keeping the outlet OFF.

Todd

rezaktp
01/18/2010, 09:04 PM
Hijacking the thread, how would you program a ACjr to do the same thing but start on the half hour (12:30, 1:30, 2:30...)

kenargo
01/18/2010, 09:07 PM
For an AC3 models you need to use a dummy timer to control night/day like this:

DAY-P01

If Time > 07:00 Then DAY ON
If Time > 19:00 Then DAY OFF

Then OSC with daytime override like this:

OSC 019/041 On/Off Then KAL ON
If Timer DAY = On Then KAL OFF

You can't really get it to run on the 1/2 hour except to use 'If Time' statements (and in the Jr I suspect you would run out of statements).

stros
01/19/2010, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the help. I have a float switch in my sump that keeps my level right. The kalk reactor will run about 19 min per hr during the night time. Will this cause the sump to be over filled. I am not sure how to control both things with out over filling the sump? Any suggestions would help as well as the code for each to run off my Apex.

kenargo
01/19/2010, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the help. I have a float switch in my sump that keeps my level right. The kalk reactor will run about 19 min per hr during the night time. Will this cause the sump to be over filled. I am not sure how to control both things with out over filling the sump? Any suggestions would help as well as the code for each to run off my Apex.

My suggestion would be to run kalk to maintain water level 100% of the time (and not use fresh watre top-off at all) but I would suggest a high water float (since evaporation changes) to protect from water overflow in all cases.

swearint
01/19/2010, 05:21 PM
If you have a float switch, there are a few ways you could use it depending on the equipment you have. One would be independent of the Apex. It would need a relay installed between the EB8 outlet and the pump. So even though the Apex might have the outlet turned ON, the relay would cut the power to the pump when the float reaches the upper limit. The other way would use the float with a breakout box hooked up to the Apex. You could then use the statement in your Kalk programming to override just like the time statement:

If SwitchX OPEN[CLOSED] then OFF

The choice of OPEN[CLOSED] depends on how you orient the float and the X depends on which input channel you use. The third option is to do both. Use one float with the Apex as primary control and then use a float/relay as a backup.

Todd