PDA

View Full Version : New membranes - TDS reading 006, never lower.

MrsHaggis
01/18/2010, 05:42 AM
We have an aqua pro RO water system (which I think we should change for an RO/DI solution). We were having a bit of an algae problem so we bought a Tunze TDS monitor so that we could see what the reading for the output was. It was 000 on the old membranes, but then quickly increased to 003 (they were quite old) so we bought two new membranes and installed them. We have ran about 6 to 8 gallons of water through the system now but the lowest output reading we get is 006.

Do we just have to run more water through, have we installed it wrong, are the new membranes not working properly?

Any ideas are most welcome.

Thanks

Thefilterguys
01/18/2010, 11:34 AM
To begin with what is the td of your tap water before filtration? What brand name and GPD of membranes did you get for replacement, as all membranes are not equal in performance? Also membranes sometimes need to be wet for a few days before they reach performance levels.

Jim

MrsHaggis
01/19/2010, 05:35 AM
Hi Jim,

The TD of the tap water is around 284.

The output is now sitting at 019 and seems to move everyday. We got the AquaPro Dirt and Sand Reduction and Taste and Odour removal at 75 GPD. However, we did not get a replacement for the 3rd membranes (the input one from the tap, it has no special name on it). These membranes are the same as the original system we installed on year ago roughly.

I have now ran about 20 Gallons of good water through the RO system and the reading is now higher than ever before; today it started at 029 and dropped to 019 but not lower.

I am wondering if it's because we need to change the 3rd membrane or if there is another underlying problem.

Also, I have heard only good things about your systems from other reef central guys and I was wondering if you ship to France? If you do then we might consider getting to whole new RO/DI system.

Thanks

Thefilterguys
01/19/2010, 11:55 PM
By membranes do you mean the filters across the bottom or in the large white housing across the top?

International shipping is very expensive and can cost as much as the system itself. Almost all of our international shipping is done through a customers USA shipping agent which I'm sure is also very costly.

Jim