PDA

View Full Version : Major problem

Grandreef 2
01/18/2010, 09:51 AM
One of my Two Chromis got suched into my overflow box. I'm Quarintineing him in some of the aquarium water in my Quarintine tank. How can I make it so it dosent happen again?! Do you think my fish will be okay? He is laying on the bottom of the container should I be worried?

Sorry for the bad pic not a good camera some times.
http://s841.photobucket.com/albums/zz331/Oceankeeper1/Quarintine%20Fish/?action=view&current=DSCN0716.jpg

TBHockey
01/18/2010, 09:55 AM
I have heard of others putting a Mesh cover over the Overflow Boxes. I am actually going to be doing this very soon, one day my Clown was missing and i found him in the Overflow. Been 2 months since that incident and he is just fine.

Grandreef 2
01/18/2010, 10:01 AM
When you got him out of the Quarintine was he very still almost had a shocked feeling to him(in the link), In the box that the chromis is in there isnt much flow which could be a facter.

Guygettnby
01/18/2010, 10:02 AM
the mesh is a good idea if the fish keep getting sucked up. but remember that you will need to clean the mesh or replace it every so often to keep it from building up gunk and slowing down/stopping up the over flow.

i personally have never had anything get sucked into my overflow before.

Playa-1
01/18/2010, 10:52 AM
If it got sucked in then you have a very sick lil fishy. Otherwise it decided to go into the box. I use a heavy mesh netting material over my overflow box and it does a great job of keeping critters out of the drain system.

David Jr.
01/18/2010, 11:02 AM
Because it is lying on the floor, I think that it was probably sick in the display tank and then got sucked up. Getting sucked into the overflow doesn't make a fish look like that...

Fizz71
01/18/2010, 02:04 PM
I agree that your fish probably had problems going in. I had two baby photon clowns that hung out WAY too close to the 600gph overflow and 3500gph powerheads for my taste but never got sucked in. We're talking SLEEPING less than an inch away.

That fish was either too sick to avoid it or needs some serious therapy. :)

As other's said, mesh works, but tends to build up with algea and need a lot of cleaning.

--Fizz

Grandreef 2
01/18/2010, 03:36 PM
I put him back in the tank around 3:00. He hid behind the rocks for 10 minutes until I was feeding my other chromis brine shrimp and he came out to eat. He seems to be swimming around fine. While in the Quarintine he was staying still but later on he started to move around and swim in the small box, He was probely just shocked. I think he learned a think or two about gettting to close to the overflow.