PDA

View Full Version : how can i catch that crab?

juniorjose
01/18/2010, 12:19 PM
i have a some type of crab in one of my liverock. i wanted to take it out so i can see what type of crab it is(good or bad). i tried setting a trap for it with a water bottle cut in half with some prawn inside, i have left it there for about two nights and it still hasnt fell for it....

any ideas on how i can catch it this smarty?....:wildone:

Chiefsurfer
01/18/2010, 12:33 PM
if it's a plain crab, you don't need a water bottle. Get a shot glass, or one slightly larger if the crab is bigger in size. And lean it up against the side of the rock near his hole. He will go in for the food and won't be able to get any traction on the glass and shouldn't be able to get out.

thebkramer
01/18/2010, 12:34 PM
I caught my gorilla crab by taking out the LR, put in 5g bucket (with heater and powerhead). I put food in attached to smaller rock and waited for him. When he came out, I quickly took out original rock and sold smaller rock back to LFS. They fed the gorilla to a very large porcupine puffer.
Its sounds complicated, but it really wasn't. You could also try to shake the heck outta the LR he's in, in a separate bucket too. I did that with a smaller one.
Godd Luck!

juniorjose
01/18/2010, 02:01 PM
the live rock that he is in is full of caves on the inside and he hides there the whole day. the shot glass is kinnda what i did with the half of the water bottle. i dont think the bucket trick would work because then he would just stay in the caves in the rock.

yesterday when i was trying to take a picture of him i put a piece of prawn on a fork and left it right outside a hole. he would come out slowly but go back in really fast. since that didnt work, i left the piece of prwn in the water bottle over night but he doesnt seem to fall for it. DO I HAVE TO GET PHYICAL?

any other suggestions...that idiot wont come out=)

thebkramer
01/18/2010, 02:03 PM
wait for him to get bigger and bolder!?!

Chiefsurfer
01/18/2010, 02:12 PM
supposedly if you use hyper-salinity they will crawl out. I did one rock, and got 2 crabs. There were more in it. My hyper-salinity was 1.34 salinity.

juniorjose
01/18/2010, 02:13 PM
he is already the size of ur thumb nail