PDA

View Full Version : Number of Clown Fish

ScubaPrawn
01/18/2010, 08:37 PM
Hey RC,

Would it be feasible to keep 4 clowns in a 47G tank? I wanted to go three, but I got some good information from some people who said three clownfish would be asking for trouble because two would pair up and the weaker one would be picked on (maybe even die).

I've been thinking about it and since then, I've decided I'd rather go 4 fake percs rather than 2 (maybe 2 black and 2 orange). Is this doable?

Thanks

sharky's machin
01/18/2010, 08:39 PM
That's too many clowns in that size system. The clown (prs) need their own space or they will be constantly battling the other pair. That assuming that they will pair up.

sharky's machin
01/18/2010, 08:40 PM
Your safest bet is to purchase an established pair.

ScubaPrawn
01/18/2010, 08:52 PM
You mean when buying just two? Or try to buy two established pairs?

sharky's machin
01/18/2010, 08:56 PM
ONE pair. You should decide which you like better, and go with ONE pair in a 46G tank.

jkrentz2515
01/18/2010, 08:56 PM
I think that it might work temporarily if you buy tiny clownfish, but once they get older they will probably pick each other off in a tank that size. 1 pair is what I recommend.

Chiefsurfer
01/18/2010, 09:39 PM
^+1

From what I have read, they can theoretically co-exist if bought as juveniles. The most dominant will turn into a female once they start to mature, and the rest will turn male. The 2nd most dominant will pair with the female, and while the other 2 will be males at this point, they will remain sexually immature. One day, one of the less dominant males will feel he needs to challenge the dominant male so he can be paired with the female. They will fight to the death at that point. That point can be a few weeks after reaching the point of maturity, or it can be years. No real way to tell. This is just what I inferred from readings here, and could easily be wrong.

Best for one pair for a tank that size.

ScubaPrawn
01/18/2010, 09:56 PM
Ok great, thanks for the info everyone. :D

Tylt33
01/18/2010, 11:12 PM
^+1

From what I have read, they can theoretically co-exist if bought as juveniles. The most dominant will turn into a female once they start to mature, and the rest will turn male. The 2nd most dominant will pair with the female, and while the other 2 will be males at this point, they will remain sexually immature. One day, one of the less dominant males will feel he needs to challenge the dominant male so he can be paired with the female. They will fight to the death at that point. That point can be a few weeks after reaching the point of maturity, or it can be years. No real way to tell. This is just what I inferred from readings here, and could easily be wrong.

Best for one pair for a tank that size.

This is true. I tried the multiple clowns thing... I ended up with a pair.