PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining dense populations of blue damsels

Ron Popeil
01/18/2010, 11:25 PM
I recently saw a picture of a beautiful sps 'rainbow tank' from Asia. Amongst the wonderful colonies of coral, there appeared to be dozens if not a hundred or so blue damsels. It looked very natural and realistic.

Has anyone maintained large populations of blue damsels in a similar setting? Is it possible without them slowly killing themselves off one by one?

JustinReef
01/19/2010, 01:38 AM
I recently saw a picture of a beautiful sps 'rainbow tank' from Asia. Amongst the wonderful colonies of coral, there appeared to be dozens if not a hundred or so blue damsels. It looked very natural and realistic.

Has anyone maintained large populations of blue damsels in a similar setting? Is it possible without them slowly killing themselves off one by one?

Azure Damsels can be kept in very, very large groups no problem. I have always wanted to set up a large reef with nothing but Azure Damsels because I agree, it looks so natural!

david pinder
01/19/2010, 08:14 AM
I have 9 blue damsels along with another 20 or so. only the chromis seem to be a problem. the black and white damsels along with damsels going in and out of the sps looks really cool. Dont care if their a cheap fish their still make good tank inhabitants.

Ron Popeil
01/19/2010, 01:20 PM
here are some pictures that have encouraged me to try this out:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o186/baros_photos/imgc583ed7czik2zj.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o186/baros_photos/imge3218cfezik0zj.jpg

ive seen how awful damsels can be in very low numbers, but with this dense of a population, i imagine they would probably do just fine in a reef tank, without killing off each other or all your other fish.

csmfish
01/19/2010, 02:00 PM
Yea, nobody has any privacy so no one can establish any turf, lol. But , hey, if it works, right? :beer:

Laddy
01/19/2010, 03:07 PM
I've always loved this combo too......sort of like coming full circle in the hobby: start of with a damsel in a 10g end up with 50 in a 280 :D

schoolisbad1
01/03/2011, 02:04 PM
anyone have further info on this?

pitmindi
01/03/2011, 04:00 PM
so how many damsels would work in a 4" tank for there not to be aggression issues? Can there be other fish also, such as clownfish and a mandarin?