PDA

View Full Version : Top Off question

chat2BREWSKY
01/19/2010, 12:18 PM
I just realized that I should be topping off with RODI water, Not RODI with Salt!

D'oh! thanks Reef Central for the Mistakes I made as a newbie thread.

When I added the water, it looked like gelatin or oil. It was definately a different viscosity look to it. Is this normal?

I've seen salt and freshwater mix on the Science Channel and figure this is normal. Can someone calm my fears?

MAMGM
01/19/2010, 12:31 PM
That's normal mixing characteristics. No problem!

jflick345
01/19/2010, 12:35 PM
+1 You're adding water with a SG of 1.000 to water with a sg of 1.026. It'll take a minute but mix in fine. Think of it as what it looks like when you first add cream to coffee and then when you stir it

tommyb
01/19/2010, 12:43 PM
I did the same thing as a newb. At least you found out now before it was too late. What was your SG at when you were adding salt as well?

pco1988
01/19/2010, 12:50 PM
All of us make mistakes as newbs. I have made more than my fair share of them. That's why we have these great forums! How high did your SG get?

old salty
01/19/2010, 11:27 PM
+1 You're adding water with a SG of 1.000 to water with a sg of 1.026. It'll take a minute but mix in fine. Think of it as what it looks like when you first add cream to coffee and then when you stir it

If you add the creamer in first, no need to stir!!!

Yeah, I'm full of useless information!! Anyhow, perfectly natural for you to get that "ripple" effect when adding fresh water to salt water.

DC_40gallon
01/20/2010, 12:20 AM
I too did the same thing. Very normal on the oily look of the rodi top off water is very normal.

DC_40gallon
01/20/2010, 12:21 AM
Consider that the rodi water is thinner than the salt water which makes it appear like an oil/water mix.

Flipper62
01/20/2010, 01:32 AM
Where are you adding the RO/DI Top Off water.....?

Do you have a sump or a Refuge....???

Thats where you should add the Top Off water. Then it can mix with the the salt water first....before it gets into the display tank.

IMO.... Its not good to add the RO/DI water right into the Display tank

LKGRenegade22
01/20/2010, 02:50 AM
Considering a FW dip is used for more than one thing in this hobby I can't see pouring your topoff (if you do) right into your display a problem.

jsharp1
01/20/2010, 07:32 AM
I use a bucket with a tubing and let it slowly drip into my tank since I dont have a sump. I put the tube by my powerhead. Dont know if this is a good way, but I think it helps disperse the new water a little better than just dumping it straight in.

chat2BREWSKY
01/20/2010, 07:01 PM
i was up to 1.028
and I'm adding directly to the display as I don't yet have a sump. I'll use the drip method to minimize disturbance.

It's back to normal now. thanks for the support!

DC_40gallon
01/20/2010, 08:15 PM
Where are you adding the RO/DI Top Off water.....?

Do you have a sump or a Refuge....???

Thats where you should add the Top Off water. Then it can mix with the the salt water first....before it gets into the display tank.

IMO.... Its not good to add the RO/DI water right into the Display tank

Some of us don't have sumps or refugiums.

Therefore adding to the display would be a normal thing to do.

I find it perfectly fine and normal to add water to your DT. My tanks never took it wrong and my corals from Acros to softies, they stay open abd happy when I pour the water over the surface. I pour it over my hand to avoid a sand storm.

soulsigma
01/20/2010, 08:25 PM
Adding top-off water to you DS tank will cause no harm , as long as you do it slowly to avoid disrupting the environment of your animals:bounce1:

MAMGM
01/21/2010, 07:56 PM
Adding top-off water to you DS tank will cause no harm , as long as you do it slowly to avoid disrupting the environment of your animals:bounce1:

Yep, I don't see a problem either!