PDA

View Full Version : Got my divers den haddoni today

COreefer
01/19/2010, 05:56 PM
It as the green one that was on there over the weekend. So far it looks pretty stressed. I floated it, and acclimated it well. The mouth is still gaping and its been in the tank for about 3 hrs. I have two layers of eggcrate over it to acclimate to lights. I will post pics soon, but if anyone has any feedback please LMK.Thanks

kevorkian
01/19/2010, 06:24 PM
Give time to settle and protect from aggressive clownfish. Good luck.

COreefer
01/19/2010, 06:25 PM
Here are some pics...I'll try to get better shots but my battery was dying. This is the best it has looked all day.

tufacody
01/19/2010, 06:37 PM
Looks pretty dang good to me for three hours

COreefer
01/19/2010, 06:39 PM
couple of better pics

Toddrtrex
01/19/2010, 06:40 PM
It as the green one that was on there over the weekend. So far it looks pretty stressed. I floated it, and acclimated it well. The mouth is still gaping and its been in the tank for about 3 hrs. I have two layers of eggcrate over it to acclimate to lights. I will post pics soon, but if anyone has any feedback please LMK.Thanks

Just egg create or window screening? IME, egg create alone doesn't block enough, need the window screening ontop of the egg create -- which is really just used to support the screening.

COreefer
01/19/2010, 06:40 PM
Looks pretty dang good to me for three hours

ok cool...I have been concerned the mouth won't shut.

COreefer
01/19/2010, 06:42 PM
Just egg create or window screening? IME, egg create alone doesn't block enough, need the window screening ontop of the egg create -- which is really just used to support the screening.

I have 2 layers of egg crate that are staggered and I place a blue tinted piece of acrylic over that. I figure if it was under 10K 400w bulbs yesterday, my 250w 20k should be fine with the layered egg crate. BTW Todd...do you think the mouth should be shut by now?

Toddrtrex
01/19/2010, 06:55 PM
I have 2 layers of egg crate that are staggered and I place a blue tinted piece of acrylic over that. I figure if it was under 10K 400w bulbs yesterday, my 250w 20k should be fine with the layered egg crate. BTW Todd...do you think the mouth should be shut by now?

I would keep an eye on it, shipping causes a lot of stress -- it seems to not fully settling in, I would go for a layer or two of screening.

It is borderline, of course I would like it to be fully closed right now, but from the pictures it doesn't look all that bad, all things considered.

If you look closely at this picture you can see the mouth slightly open. This was the last Haddoni I received -- from Diver's Den -- the picture was taken about 3 hours after it was put it. 6 some odd months later it is still doing great. So, as long as the "stomach" doesn't start to come out the mouth I wouldn't be too concerned.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/33/Perc8_18_9part3.jpg

Zuska
01/19/2010, 07:34 PM
nice score! im trying to get one right now. dont have any good stores around my way in NYC to purchase these:(

COreefer
01/20/2010, 12:35 AM
Thx Todd...the one you got looks to be firmer than mine. Tonight and it hasn't settled in yet. I dug an area for it in the substrate and it forced its way out. Just sitting there with the bottom of its foot on the top of the sand. I hope it settles down.

LoneRanger
01/20/2010, 07:35 AM
keep us updated. you bought that nem 3 days before my local club had a group buy going. I was gonna pick it up!

good luck~

L.R.

COreefer
01/20/2010, 01:52 PM
Here are some pics from today...it looks better but still not where i would like it to be. When I turned the pumps off the mouth gaped a little...with them on the mouth is shut.

COreefer
01/20/2010, 01:58 PM
More...the blurred top down you can tell the mouth is nice and shut. The pumps were on in that pic. The others the pumps were off. Thoughts?

isseym328
01/20/2010, 08:52 PM
Too early to tell imo. The carpet doesn't look like it's 100 % healthy, but it looks pretty good. From the middle pic in your last post it looks like it's attempting to dig into the sand. Try feeding it a small piece of food and see how responsive it is.

5Starreef
01/20/2010, 10:02 PM
Your whishes are orders for me :beer:

COreefer
01/20/2010, 10:17 PM
It ate some mysis today but this evening it popped out of the sand I dug the sand away from its foot so it can settle. We'll see....

COreefer
01/24/2010, 04:18 PM
Anemone seems to be going downhill...just never seemed healthy from the get go. For the first time this morning it completely deflated itself. It has yet to re inflate. I'm just so frustrated because I cannot find a healthy one locally anywhere and have been looking for several months so I decided to give this one a shot from LiveAquaria.

The strange thing about this nem is that it is sticky and eats mysis. the other thing is that during the day its mouth is partially open and the fold of the anemone is covering the opening of the area that is open.

Its frustrating...

luisse25
01/24/2010, 04:30 PM
i have 2 carpets from shipping..right after i got it they look good..no gaping mouth or whatsoever..settled in really fast...one is eating really good the other one i havent seen it ate(is it normal?)...i didnt know carpets can be hard...

monkeybiz
01/24/2010, 04:34 PM
i hope the nem pulls through.

i have 2 carpets from shipping..right after i got it they look good..no gaping mouth or whatsoever..settled in really fast...one is eating really good the other one i havent seen it ate(is it normal?)...i didnt know carpets can be hard...

pics? and where did you buy it?

COreefer
01/24/2010, 04:39 PM
Here are a couple of pics. You can see how the oral disc is folded over the mouth and you can see how the moth gapes a bit. If anything falls on it, fish food, mysis, etc, it has a quick feeding response though. Thoughts? I have screening material over the top BTW.

BTW, all parameters and the tank is well suited to anemones...I had a H Crispa and H. Malu in the tank before the carpet with no issues at all. This one just seems to not want to acclimate. At what point should I give up on it?

wolmutt
01/24/2010, 04:52 PM
Beautiful specimen!

Haddonisreef
01/24/2010, 08:52 PM
Time will tell! Let it be and may be feed some phyto or some type of filter food!

LoneRanger
01/25/2010, 11:49 AM
For having a brand new animal, your really quick to want to "give up on it" to me it is still looking Very well from the pics posted. Perhaps you werent ready to get such an animal to begin with?

L.R. :(

COreefer
01/25/2010, 12:46 PM
For having a brand new animal, your really quick to want to "give up on it" to me it is still looking Very well from the pics posted. Perhaps you werent ready to get such an animal to begin with?

L.R. :(

What kind of a crap statement is this? I've been in this hobby for a long time...I'm plenty ready. You evidently don't know what a healthy haddoni looks like. BTW, the pics you see are when its looking its best.

LoneRanger
01/25/2010, 01:36 PM
Sorry, I didnt mean to offend you I was basing my comment on the pics you posted from yesterday. 3 or 4 posts up. If thoes are not current pics maybe I should not have commented.

I appologize!

L.R.

COreefer
01/25/2010, 01:48 PM
Its hard to tell from the pic but the anemone is folding its oral disc over its gaping mouth. I've never seen that in a haddoni and the anemone just doesn't seem healthy. I wouldn't give up on it and toss it, but if it gets much worse I will have to move it into my 20g where there is less of a risk of it dying and destroying anything.

kretzkiller
01/25/2010, 01:48 PM
For having a brand new animal, your really quipck to want to "give up on it" to me it is still looking Very well from the pics posted. Perhaps you were

What kind of a crap statement is this? I've been in this hobby for a long time...I'm plenty ready. You evidently don't know what a healthy haddoni looks like. BTW, the pics you see are when its looking its best.

calm down dude. i also think it's to early to give up on it.

davocean
01/25/2010, 02:19 PM
LOL, I gotta say OP's response gave me a bit of a chuckle!(still laughing)
I think we are looking for the positive, and trying to be encouraging, but since it's your tank you are looking for what bad may come and being protective.
I honestly don't think it looks that bad either for how new it is, but it's harder to tell in pics.
In person it's easier to see it melting, and I've always waited for that before pulling.
I've even had to use tupperware to pull before cause it was so loose a net would not hold it, but that was a little closer to being on the bubble than I like.

COreefer
01/25/2010, 03:01 PM
At what point should I give up on it?

This is what I asked. I didn't say I was giving up on it...There comes a point in time in which the animal is doomed. I got my back up because the poster implied I wasn't ready for one. I didn't just go out an impulse buy. I have been looking for several months locally and decided to give the internet a try. The nem looks ok at times and at others it looks pretty stressed. I just wanted feedback on when to chalk it up to a loss. I think its a pretty simple question...I have my idea on the subject and wanted to hear others.

LoneRanger
01/25/2010, 03:25 PM
Not yet. IMO from the pic I would say it isnt even close to being "really bad off" but you see more than any of us-

again sorry if I offended you, that was not my intent~

L.R.

COreefer
01/25/2010, 03:27 PM
No worries LR...I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. :)

i'm sorry for getting my back up...totally the wrong way to handle it.

LoneRanger
01/25/2010, 04:08 PM
hey no worries- were all here to help each other out! ;)

L.R.

luisse25
01/25/2010, 05:24 PM
i hope the nem pulls through.

pics? and where did you buy it?

this mini red carpet eats a lot...very healthy when i got it...
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab193/luisse1407/clownfish%20and%20blue%20nem/DSC06848.jpg

and this blue carpet never seen it ate though i always squirt mysis shrimp on it..my clownfish i guess feeds it..
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab193/luisse1407/clownfish%20and%20blue%20nem/DSC06860.jpg
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab193/luisse1407/clownfish%20and%20blue%20nem/DSC06649.jpg

i didnt know that they can be hard...i am happy mine are healthy since day 1 i have it..these are my very first 2 carpets

i hope yours will be fine...i think it will do good..:)

davocean
01/25/2010, 05:36 PM
hey no worries- were all here to help each other out! ;)

L.R.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e141/mermail/0IJJa.jpg

Slickcg33
01/25/2010, 06:43 PM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e141/mermail/0IJJa.jpg

lmao

Haddonisreef
01/27/2010, 06:55 AM
any up dates?

COreefer
01/27/2010, 11:23 AM
Yeah...it's looks like the anemone may be coming around. I am keeping my fingers crossed, but I have added a baby saddle clown my LFS has had for months. The clown has seemed to help the anemone settle down. When I checked on it this morning the mouth was nice and tight and the nem is bigger than it has been at any point. I hope it is settling in. I'll post pics soon!

Haddonisreef
01/27/2010, 02:13 PM
Glade to hear! I think that the clown was a good idea to help it settle in!

COreefer
01/27/2010, 03:29 PM
Still not out of the woods though...the nem doesn't have its foot fully buried...only partially.

LoneRanger
01/27/2010, 04:50 PM
pics pics pics!