PDA

View Full Version : First time with ich,now what?

lalo809
01/20/2010, 01:20 AM
Hello everyone i have a little problem with my fish
i just noticed one of my clown and one of my cromis have white spots
i dont have a QT because limited space,so im here for your help with this ich i do have a 20g tall tank i can use i guess im going to put it in the guest room
so what you guys use to get rid of it,thanks everybody

lucidheights
01/20/2010, 02:31 AM
you can either live with it, or get a qt and eradicate it. The latter is recommended if you plan on adding new fish. I would suggest using the search tool to better answer your question.

Playa-1
01/20/2010, 07:18 AM
I would suggest that you study up on the ICH lifecycle. There are a few methods to deal with the problem but most of them require a Quarantine tank of some type. This is a situation where an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. You best bet is to prevent the ICH parasite from getting into the tank to begin with.

Financial Panth
01/20/2010, 08:18 AM
QT tank with hyposalinity. That should help.

thebkramer
01/20/2010, 08:22 AM
I have a reef tank. I didn't have a QT. I dealt with ICH for 5 mos. I used StoP! Parasites. I eventually got tired of my little guys banging up against rocks and sand. I ended up losing my clownfish to it because they ended up with a bacterial infection on top of ICH. It was sad. They had left their anemone after being in there for a year +. After that I got the QT. Its worth getting one!!! In the long run you will save on $ and save your fish!

jason2459
01/20/2010, 08:53 AM
i dont have a QT because limited space,so im here for your help with this ich i do have a 20g tall tank i can use i guess im going to put it in the guest room

Trust me I know where you are coming from with having limited space and for me money as well. I didn't have a QT either. But I ended up getting a dwarf angel that brought in both fluke and ich! I wasn't happy. I tried feeding well and also tried some "reef safe" organic ich cure which just helped to bring out a outbreak of cyano. The angel I was able to catch and gave to an LFS to treat and ended up trading it in for another fish. Not long later some of my other fish ended up showing ich so I ended up getting all the fish out and into a QT.

If you are in the position of a bad outbreak it's probably too late to go the maintain a healthy tank route but best to start now anyways. If you just started seeing a few spots then you might be okay. Get your water quality stable (what is good water quality is debatable but stable is a key). Feed a variety of foods and feed well (kind of makes getting a stable environment difficult.) Make sure the fish are getting proper nutrients and fats.

If the outbreak is really bad I'd do whatever it takes to get a QT tank going. Get a cheap ruber made container, small HOB filter, and small heater. I found a great deal on a 20g tank, stand, hob filter, and light from Goodwill for $30. Find a spot to put it. Be inventive. I first set mine up in the middle of a room. Wife wasn't happy. I now have it in a spare bathroom (wife still isn't thrilled). Put the container on top of a table or chair or something. I put in some PVC pipes and structure for the fish to hid in and around.

I'd get something to help aid in bacteria growth like seachem stability. I used that to get my nitrification jump started and seemed to work well for me. I also changed water every day for a week and it was fine after that.

Then choose if you want to go the route of hyposalinity or copper. I went copper with seachem's copramine as it was reported to be easier on the fish and easier to get in an effective "zone" and still actually work. I was scared with hypo I'd not be able to keep it at the right salinity levels and with regular copper meds as well. I also used prazipro at the same time as a just in case because I had flukes in my tank as well before I had ich show up.

My clowns looked to be in the worse shape and I did a freshwater dip just before I put them in the QT and that seemed to help them a lot. Most all of the white spots that were on them fell off. For the freshwater dip I filled a small bowl with ro/di water, put it in the microwave to get it up to tank temp, added in some baking soda and tested the pH till the pH was up to tank level as well. Then just put one clown in at a time for 5m each. Then put them right into the QT after that.

I also didn't treat the QT for the first week while I was doing water changes and just getting the fish used to their new environment and made sure they were feeding well before I started the meds. I did that for 8 weeks and left the main tank with no fish in it. Everyone survived and acted normal the entire time. They're all back in the main tank and seem happy and haven't seen any problems since then.

nick063
01/20/2010, 09:11 AM
I had ich in my 100 gall on my powder brown tang and i decided not to quarintine so i treated my tank with ruby reef kick ich and did water changes. I increased the feeding and soaked his food in garlic guard and his immune system did the rest

john32
01/20/2010, 10:37 AM
I have done the same, the only fish I have had problems with Ich was my regal tang I just soaked his food in Garlic and the ich went away, its been about four months and it has not come back.

lalo809
01/20/2010, 11:17 AM
Thank you all i think im going to do the garlic way i heard that it works fine
well from now on im going to set up the tall 20g that i have even if i have to put it in the spare bedroom(sorry wife but the fish are sick and need special attention) my next question is should i use some of the water in my thank or mix new water also no sand no rock just HOBF,HEATER,PVC and water with the salinity around 1.021 or 1.023. Again thanks

wooden_reefer
01/20/2010, 12:00 PM

There are a lot of posts on this subject.

Do a search on ich and just read.

Three major points.

1. Aim for eradication

2. cycle medium in advance for QT. Ammonia in QT against ich should never be a problem.

3. Copper or hypo (gradual) does not affect nitrification significantly.

Mad_Reefer
01/20/2010, 12:51 PM
My fish have showed signs of ich in the past and I have not eradicated it but they show no signs now. I'm sure it's probably still in there but as long as I don't see it I'm pretty sure it's not bugging the fish too much. Eradication would be nice but it's just not possible in my situation. I feed garlic and over fed when I had new fish. That is it. I would never use those so called reef safe products that claim to cure ich. Also, stress will bring out the ich so low stress is important.

wooden_reefer
01/20/2010, 12:56 PM
My fish have showed signs of ich in the past and I have not eradicated it but they show no signs now. I'm sure it's probably still in there but as long as I don't see it I'm pretty sure it's not bugging the fish too much. Eradication would be nice but it's just not possible in my situation. I feed garlic and over fed when I had new fish. That is it. I would never use those so called reef safe products that claim to cure ich. Also, stress will bring out the ich so low stress is important.

Stress may be important for the first fish in a tank getting heavily infested. Thereafter the phenomenon of re-infestation in the confinement of a tank can become dominant.

Stress/immunity, water quality, nutrition against ich is beating around the bush, IME. Very chancy.

The later an ich outbreak occurs, when the DT is quite estabished and fish are numerous and older and bigger, the greater the calamity.

jason2459
01/20/2010, 01:18 PM

Stress/immunity, water quality, nutrition against ich is beating around the bush, IME. Very chancy.

But works for many people for many years (40years and counting in one instance.)

bertoni
01/20/2010, 05:49 PM
Well, that's like saying one person won the lottery, so all of us will.

jason2459
01/21/2010, 08:22 AM
Well, that's like saying one person won the lottery, so all of us will.

No, I'm saying it works for many people not just one. I've also said I do believe in a good QT process as well.

However, I do believe a good healthy tank is the most important thing, even more so then a good QT process.

bertoni
01/21/2010, 02:36 PM
I don't think a healthy tank is any substitute for quarantine and disease treatment.

Kieth71
01/21/2010, 04:09 PM
I don't think a healthy tank is any substitute for quarantine and disease treatment.

Indeed...we all try and keep a healthy tank but i prefer mine without the parasites...i will continue to advocate that people use a qt.

sfboarders
01/21/2010, 04:15 PM
Even if your fish battles ich it's still in your tank. You have a good chance of getting ich again once you have another stressed out fish.

wooden_reefer
01/21/2010, 05:10 PM
Do you want to go on vacation for three weeks and come back to a tank with dead fish?

To say the least.

When you are not around, the care taker will be helpless if ich breaks out.

Again, to say the least.

Playa-1
01/21/2010, 05:24 PM
I agree with the healthy tank, minimizing stress, garlic and all of that stuff. It all comes right after a qood acclimation and quarantine process to keep the parasites and disease out of the DT. It's not a substitute.

wooden_reefer
01/21/2010, 06:14 PM
There are two major important concepts.

First, the confinement effect of the tank, the absense of the dilution effection of the ocean, is a fundament factor for a tank wrt to pathogen concentration in a tank.

Second, various pathogens have different characteristics wrt to lifecycle and susceptability to immunity agents, pathogen waterboure concentration affect infestation or infection differently.

The extent to which immunity, water quality, and nutrition affect infestation or infection is very obvious. The most obvious can be overemphasized. What is necessary is not always sufficient.