PDA

View Full Version : CAL/ALK dosing issue

Montreal Ray
01/20/2010, 10:43 AM
Hi guys,

I'm having a little bit of an issue raising ALK and CAl with ESV 2 part.

I am either not dosing enough or there is something else happening, I hope you can shed some light on this.

I have a volume of about 105 to 110 Gallons. Very very lightly stocked tank with lots or coraline. I have about 10 2" SPS frags, 3 LPS frags and a 4" clam.

I started dosing ESV a few days ago after a long losing battle with Seachem Reef Complete and Reef Carbonate. The seachem stuff was ridiculously unstable!.

ESV

January 16
ALK 7dkh
CAL 325

dosed 35ml of each B-ionic 2 part

January 17
ALK 7dkh
CAL 350

dosed 55ml of each B-ionic 2 part

January 18
ALK 8dkh
Cal 415

So after 3 days and 90ML of B-ionic I am where I want to be. My daily dose as of Jan 18 will be 35ml of both parts.

Jan 18,and 19 I added 35ml per day.

January 20
ALK 7dkh
Cal 375

Once again, my values have dropped.

Is 35ml not enough or could there be something else causing this? ESV recommends 26 to 27.5ml per day for my volume, I am dosing 10ml more than what is reconmended as a starting dose.

1000 thanks,
Ray

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/20/2010, 10:48 AM
Gauge the need for B-ionic on alkalinity, not calcium. Calcium is messed with by water changes with off salt mixes, and is very slow to respond to over and under dosing.

What salt mix?

If calcium is too low, boost it with calcium chloride, or just the calcium part of the B-ionic (OK, but more expensive)..

What is your desired target alkalinity?

Montreal Ray
01/20/2010, 10:54 AM
Gauge the need for B-ionic on alkalinity, not calcium. Calcium is messed with by water changes with off salt mixes, and is very slow to respond to over and under dosing.

What salt mix?

If calcium is too low, boost it with calcium chloride, or just the calcium part of the B-ionic (OK, but more expensive)..

What is your desired target alkalinity?

Thanks for the reply.

I use a 50/50 mix of IO and IO reef Crystals. This mix gives me 425/12, I do small 5gallon water changes weekly. No water changes were made since I began using ESV

I would be happy with 9dkh or even 8 if it is stable

So,I should raise CAL a little to have a better balance?

thanks,
Ray

garzaci
01/20/2010, 11:14 AM
Focus on alk first. After you have that where u want it then dial in the cal. And look into using Randys recipes. They are awesome.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/20/2010, 11:27 AM
The calcium number variations are likely testing noise then, as calcium won't jump and down on a 1-2 day basis. :)

I'd boost calcium, and also dose 25% more each day of both parts for a while and see what that does for alkalinity. if not enough, boost the daily dose again. :)

Montreal Ray
01/20/2010, 11:30 AM
Focus on alk first. After you have that where u want it then dial in the cal. And look into using Randys recipes. They are awesome.

The calcium number variations are likely testing noise then, as calcium won't jump and down on a 1-2 day basis. :)

I'd boost calcium, and also dose 25% more each day of both parts for a while and see what that does for alkalinity. if not enough, boost the daily dose again. :)

thanks guys

I will deff. take that advice Randy. I will keep you posted on how things make out.

Regards,
Ray