PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Feeding Questions for Anthias Owners

Nlangan
01/20/2010, 12:37 PM
I got 4 flame Anthias a week ago - a big male and 3 females. At first they didn't come out, then they wouldn't eat, now I've got them out and live brine shrimp proved to be irresistable to them. Last night they were munching on frozen mysis! I haven't gotten them to eat any dry food. This is a problem because my research says they should be fed several small meals a day. I got a nice Eheim feeder to do this while I'm at work but I obviously can't load live or frozen food into the feeder. Id like to know how other Anthias owners solved this problem.

Please share your Anthias feeding routines. Keep in mind that I'm a newbie, and easily confused.

[edit]-I should mention that they only look for food in the water column, so sinking pellets are only considered for a second or two until the hit the bottom, and flake is completely ignored - even cyclopse-eze flakes!

Shane Hoffman
01/20/2010, 01:08 PM
Sometimes it helps to soak in garlic and selcon. Start by mixing some garlic in with the live brine when you feed. This should get them used to the scent of garlic. After a while start mixing in small pellets soaked with garlic with the live brine. You should notice them slowly taking the pellets over time. It may take some time. Until you get them used to it you should be ok just feeding them before work then again as soon as you get home........

dudley moray
01/20/2010, 03:52 PM
i feed mine once a day with no trouble sometimes twice there should be enough little critters in your tank they can pick at while you are away

seafansar
01/20/2010, 06:21 PM
I fed my 5 Carberryi anthias a lot for the first 2 weeks after I got them. Got them used to eating frozen, flake, and pellets (but like yours they ignore pellets once they hit the bottom). After they started looking nice and healthy, I started feeding less. Now I feed once a day, sometimes skip a day, and when I'm home most the day I'll feed multiple times. Seems like after a while, they don't need to be fed as much.

Nlangan
01/21/2010, 10:35 AM
Thanks, guys, that's good info. Anyone else want to chime in?

wrott
06/19/2010, 04:44 PM
I agree w/ the fact that they don't need to be fed more than 1 or 2x/day. On the weekends, I feed 4-5x/day, but I have let it go 3 days w/out feeding and no ill effects on my Ignitus and Sunburst.
I believe, as others have stated, the first couple of weeks is critical in feeding them as much as possible. After a few months mine will eat most anything--NLS Optimum and ON formula 2 (green) flakes, small NLS pellet and frozen Hikari brine/mysis.