PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide on my next route of action....

badazztealcobra
01/20/2010, 05:40 PM
I posted this on aquariumcomputer.com as well, but I know some of you dont go there, so I thought Id ask here as well....

Okay, Im currently downsizing my tank from a 180g setup to a 90g rimless starfire setup. I'm hoping to "upgrade" through downsizing by going with some "nicer" equipment on the tank.

I currently have a Profilux PlusII on my 180 with a digital 6 plug bar and a 4 plug bar. Im also controlling two 6105 stream2's with the Tunze cables and splitter. I'm also running ReefStatus through a laptop thats always running and was hoping to get away from that....

When I sell off all my old equipment Im hoping to have right around 1,200 USD to "play" with, so I was hoping to update my current equipment. I am really looking into going with the balling light method (its going to be ALOT of reading Im guessing) on this new setup since I have seen some good results, so I'm guessing my first purchase should be for a doser. Should I just buy the 3 bay unit, or spend the little bit more now and get a 4 bay unit just to have it?

Should my next step then be looking into an Ex upgrade, or should I just send Michael my PII and have it upgraded to a PIII instead ??? This should allow me to get away from running my laptop 24/7 correct ???

If I go with a 4 station doser and a PIII upgrade I would have $350-$400 left to play with if all goes well. Should I be looking into possibly upgrading power bars at that point, or would I be looking into more "frivilous" things like the propeller breeze and get fid of my fuge fan, or a simu-l light stick for more effect, maybe now upgrade to an Ex and then wait till I can get the probes, etc....

I dont know if the new equipment will make any difference in the purchases so I'll list them as well:

8x39w ATI Powermodule (too bad FM didnt have a dimmable 39w :( )
Vertex Alpha 170 Kone
Tunze silence return pump
CurrentUSA 2x18w T5 fuge lighting
(2) Tunze 6055 pumps (might go to 4 of them for even more flow)

AQD_ottawa
01/20/2010, 06:27 PM
I think the first thing you should do is to go for teh P3 upgrade and the doser, the EX upgrade can wait really, if you are not using redox or salinity now then you will not feel the difference.

My suggestion would be to modernize get the P3 upgrade kit (fitted) and go for a 3 pump doser and balling kit.

If you really wanted to push the boat out ;) we could fit the EX kit also while we have the controller, and the controller would come back as a new controller too, polished and buffed up, 3 coats of wax and high gloss finish :)

badazztealcobra
01/20/2010, 07:23 PM
Do you see any need or reason to go right with the 4 pump doser ??? For topoff right now I'm using a Reef-Filler going through a kalk reactor. Im not sure what the top-off rate will be on the new setup, but I don't think its a good idea to do topoffs with the dosing station is it ???

When I switch over to the balling method, do you know if I'll still need to dose with kalk, or can that reactor go as well ??? The biggest thing it does for me is helping to keep my PH up, am I able to do that with the balling method, or is this stuff I should ask in the FM section ???

What kind of wax do you use to buff out my profilux ??? :D

AQD_ottawa
01/20/2010, 08:51 PM
Hiya

You do not run kalk with fauna balling, this is the beauty of fauna salts it is designed to keep the system stable, so you could use the 3 stage doser and always add another pump to the box if ever required.

On larger systems no I do not recommend dosers for top off.

Wax - Bees Knees wax of course ;)