PDA

View Full Version : Torch Help

Snookster
01/20/2010, 09:14 PM
I've had this torch since last March. The last couple of months the extension seemed to be getting a little less. Didn't really notice until lately.

It's mounted to a small rock that I accidently knocked over and it landed head first in the sand. Head #1 dies within days. The polyp withdrew and the "tentacles" just deflated.

Apparently I did not place it back on the rosks very well and my "bull" turbo mowed it over. Head first into the sand. Another head gone.

Now another polyp is biting the dust. I've tried feed it many times, never actively took anything. I've noticed sometimes the polyps will have what looks like a bubble sticking out of it's mouth. When these heads die, they turn to white (zooxanthellae dying?) before just falling apart. It does have one new polyp growing out off the side though.

I'm running 4x54 T5, 10 hrs. The coral has always been at the top and the color has been good. I have 12 zoas, 1 duncan (10 heads), gsp, candy cane, acan and 1 acro. Everything else appears to be very happy and growing like a weed.

75 gal tank + 30 gal sump
Skim wet
Running rowaphos & grapefruit size cheato.
temp 76-78.

salinity: 1.023
ph: 8.2
phos: .002
nitrates: 0
nitrites: 0
ammon: 0
cal: 440

I keep thinking back to when I got it, there were a few in the same tank that had some issues and I can't think that this one was never really healthy.

Any ideas?

Best pic I could get at the moment. The dying head is the one on the right.

http://www.markstraley.com/aquarium/corals/P1200045.JPG

guinness0514
01/25/2010, 09:41 AM
Sound like stress due to falling...you need to secure it and let it calm down. If you start to notice a brown jelly from the heads of any I would remove that head. brown jelly can spread an wipe out other heads.