PDA

View Full Version : copperband problems.

jmski333
01/20/2010, 09:35 PM
well i received a copperband butterfly from my lfs for free because it was sick and the owner was going to dispose of him. I offered to take the copper band home and put him in my QT and he said sure.

well that was yesterday and now he's in my 20 QT with Mardel coppersafe.

Symptoms seem to be torn up fins, scraped up scales, and a few discoloration spots. yet he's still swims around and occasionally swims from one PVC fitting to the next in my tank. He's not eating mysis, bloodworms or anything soaked in garlic yet.

What should i do?

Chris27
01/20/2010, 09:54 PM
You can try live brine just to stimulate a feeding response, then sneak in some very small mysis or something else in the mix.

jmski333
01/21/2010, 06:05 AM
thanks chris, i was actually just thinking that this morning. i will try it.

KingwoodMarcia
01/21/2010, 08:02 AM
might try selcon and just put it into the water to improve his vitamin intake. It has worked for me to keep the fish alive a few more days and hopefully stim. him to eat.

Just my .002.

Good luck.

jmski333
01/21/2010, 01:05 PM
thanks, it would be awesome if i can keep him alive, i figure if he survived the move from the lfs to my qt than he's got a shot.

wooden_reefer
01/21/2010, 07:04 PM
well i received a copperband butterfly from my lfs for free because it was sick and the owner was going to dispose of him. I offered to take the copper band home and put him in my QT and he said sure.

well that was yesterday and now he's in my 20 QT with Mardel coppersafe.

Symptoms seem to be torn up fins, scraped up scales, and a few discoloration spots. yet he's still swims around and occasionally swims from one PVC fitting to the next in my tank. He's not eating mysis, bloodworms or anything soaked in garlic yet.

What should i do?

It does not sound like it is suffering from ich. If it is suffering from bacterial infection copper won't help.

In general I eradicate ich in QT, but in this case I'd delay eradication of ich and aim to treat against the "discoloration spots", which can be bacterial, and the get it to eat. Otherwise, death will come soon.

jhentr
01/21/2010, 09:52 PM
Also live blackworms will coax it to eat too. Good luck. CBB is one of my favorite fish in my tank!

RBU1
01/22/2010, 07:22 AM
Copperbands are real difficult to get eating. I am sad to say that more then likely this little guy will not make it. I hope I am wrong but the fact he is in copper already is not good. Copper will supress the appetite so if he is not eating like a pig before you start the copper he usually is not going to eat during and will just die.

If you want to try but it might already be to late. I would remove the copper and keep the water conditions as pristine as you can and try to get him eating good before you start any treatment.

RegalAngel
01/22/2010, 01:13 PM
It does not sound like it is suffering from ich. If it is suffering from bacterial infection copper won't help.

In general I eradicate ich in QT, but in this case I'd delay eradication of ich and aim to treat against the "discoloration spots", which can be bacterial, and the get it to eat. Otherwise, death will come soon.

+1 I agree as it doesn't sound like a disease that copper should be used to treat. Try a General Cure type medication...API.

jmski333
01/22/2010, 05:11 PM
i appreciate all your guy's help, but sadly he died last night. i put copper in there because i thought he had some sort of parasite. My last attempt to get him to eat was a frash clam because i read somewhere they'll eat that. it didn't work.

wooden reefer you were right, i believe he did have a bacterial infection because on the last day his discoloration spots became open soars.

I kept the water perfect the entire time and i only used half the copper dosage recommended on the bottle so i wouldn't overdo it. for future reference with bacterial infection what medication and treatment should i use?

RBU1
01/22/2010, 07:31 PM
i appreciate all your guy's help, but sadly he died last night. i put copper in there because i thought he had some sort of parasite. My last attempt to get him to eat was a frash clam because i read somewhere they'll eat that. it didn't work.

wooden reefer you were right, i believe he did have a bacterial infection because on the last day his discoloration spots became open soars.

I kept the water perfect the entire time and i only used half the copper dosage recommended on the bottle so i wouldn't overdo it. for future reference with bacterial infection what medication and treatment should i use?

For future reference...I would get a fish eating before I treat with anything. Maracyn is usually a decent choice.

jmski333
01/22/2010, 07:35 PM
good advice, i will make note of that. thanks a lot