PDA

View Full Version : How much Chaeto is too much Cheato?

Misterchinn
01/20/2010, 10:58 PM
So my softball sized ball of Chaeto in my fuge is now a soccerball sized ball of Chaeto.

I stretch it out and roll it every few days, to try to get light to all sides. It still has a little room left in the fuge maybe 2 inches in each direction.

Question: When should I harvest? Should I just let it grow out to the edges and fill up the fuge and get denser or would thinning it out actually be better for nutrient uptake?

Sisterlimonpot
01/20/2010, 11:00 PM
don't let it get dense, trim it back when it starts to pack tightly.

Octoshark
01/20/2010, 11:01 PM
Well how big is your display tank and refuge? Don't let it get TOO dense. That would run the risk of the middle of the clump not receiving enough light, etc

If it only has about 2 inches of space on each side then it sounds like that is about as large as you would want it to get.

Aquarist007
01/20/2010, 11:17 PM
So my softball sized ball of Chaeto in my fuge is now a soccerball sized ball of Chaeto.

I stretch it out and roll it every few days, to try to get light to all sides. It still has a little room left in the fuge maybe 2 inches in each direction.

Question: When should I harvest? Should I just let it grow out to the edges and fill up the fuge and get denser or would thinning it out actually be better for nutrient uptake?

Harvest it once a week. Its not the amount of cheato that is important but its growth rate. Increasing the growth rate uptakes more nitrates and phosphates from the system. Harvesting removes the nitrates and phosphates permanently from your system

Harvesting more frequently, ripping the ends of the chaeto when you harvest, keeping the lights on for about 16 hours a day and giving a dark time, and adding iron occasionally all increase the growth rate of the cheato

Shane Hoffman
01/20/2010, 11:32 PM
:lmao:When your seven year old tells you that you need to "mow the grass in the little tank thats under the big tank" you have to much cheato.......atleast thats how I know!!!:rollface:

afernandez
01/21/2010, 06:40 AM
Made me look at mine :) and it sure is time some of the top Is out of the water! It grew rather quick even though I started with a good bunch

Aquarist007
01/21/2010, 02:47 PM
:lmao:When your seven year old tells you that you need to "mow the grass in the little tank thats under the big tank" you have to much cheato.......atleast thats how I know!!!:rollface:

Love it ::D
and when you find leggo pieces in the sump its time for a water change:eek1:

Jstdv8
01/21/2010, 03:25 PM
i found two pieces of a banana in mine a couple days ago :(

Octoshark
01/21/2010, 03:29 PM
Love it ::D
and when you find leggo pieces in the sump its time for a water change:eek1:

Lol, someone was having fun

bertoni
01/21/2010, 04:52 PM
If the Chaetomorpha is supposed to export nutrients, it needs to be trimmed and removed in order to do so. When the growth is limited by space, that's a good time to trim, but it takes some judgement, or guessing.