PDA

View Full Version : Reef Ready Tanks ?

cpittmx
01/21/2010, 09:16 AM
I noticed that many of the reef ready tanks are set up so that the overflow draws water from the top, middle, and bottom of the aquarium. My first thought was great idea. My second thought was that if electicity goes out wont the entire tank drain down. I'm thinking this is not the case because the tank would still just drain lower than the level of the drain pipe that is inside of the overflow. Is this correct?

chris.francis14
01/21/2010, 09:21 AM
Yes, you do have to leave space in the sump to allow for some water to be siphoned back into the sump, another way to help prevent this is to drill a hole in the return line where it enters the tank.

cpittmx
01/21/2010, 09:28 AM
oops double post

cpittmx
01/21/2010, 09:30 AM
I understand that part....my question is since some reef ready tanks have the overlow drawing from the bottom would it drain the entire tank. Im assuming that drain tube opening itself is not at the bottom so it would just be that the overlow box could draw water from the bottom but it would not drain to sump.

Also is this a good set-up or is better to just have water overflow from the surface. It seems like this would provide greater surface flow and better gas exchange.

I like the look of the reef ready systems but it seems that just skimming water from top would be better.

Shane Hoffman
01/21/2010, 09:53 AM
You are correct. The 3 different levels of openings for the water to drain through are only in the acrylic plate that covers the drain pipe. The pipe itself that water actually drains out ofis more near the surface.

thebanker
01/21/2010, 10:27 AM
Can you post a link or a pic of what you are seeing? Most reef-ready tanks only drain water from the surface through a toothed acrylic weir (low dam). I've yet to see what you're describing: drains from the middle and bottom. Are you perhaps looking at the return piping, where water is pumped back from the sump? It can be, and often is along the bottom or mid-level on the aquarium wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

julie180
01/21/2010, 11:55 AM
I was told those holes are there for equalization. Something about helping the water flow smoothly over the top.

The only water that goes into the overflow directly is over the top teeth. In a power out, the water will only drain to the bottom of the teeth on the top of the overflow.

cdbias2
01/21/2010, 12:56 PM
The overflows have an interior wall about 1/4" away from the other wall that the water has to flow up and over. The 2nd wall sets your water level. You have no control over it.

cpittmx
01/21/2010, 03:50 PM
Can you post a link or a pic of what you are seeing? Most reef-ready tanks only drain water from the surface through a toothed acrylic weir (low dam). I've yet to see what you're describing: drains from the middle and bottom. Are you perhaps looking at the return piping, where water is pumped back from the sump? It can be, and often is along the bottom or mid-level on the aquarium wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.notlehs.com/reef/salt/megaflow.JPG

the megaflows which I see being used by a lot of the manufacturers, including oceanic. if you notice the slots are on the top, middle, and bottom.

Jaycen B.
01/21/2010, 05:16 PM
cdbias2 is correct. Take a closer look inside the box.