PDA

View Full Version : plumbing issues

eran
01/21/2010, 02:30 PM
So I have never had so many issues with plumbing My return line is the only thing that is leaking at the seams!! I can not get it to stop leaking at the threads from my dart and true ball unions. DRIP.....DRIP......DRIP I have used teflon tape and nothing will stop it. I went to lowes and talked with a guy in plumbing there who said that he has been a plumber for more than 25 years and said that I shouldn't even use tape on the threads because they are plastic and self sealing. It still leaks! Who has some insight????

Thanks

Playa-1
01/21/2010, 02:39 PM
You will want to tape the threads. It is common for the unions to leak and be difficult. You will have to tape the snocky out of it and reseat it. It's best to have the union in an area where if it drips it will not cause a problem such at directly over the sump. The fitting going into the pump or the pump itself may have a hairline crack from over tightening. Inspect carefully. Many times the fitting will split at the seams and be very hard to notice on visual inspection. If it's cracked then it will have to be replaced. It's a very common occurrence.

tank o tang
01/21/2010, 02:47 PM
If it's the union itself, check that the o-ring in the union isn't rolled.

If its the threads, be sure you wound the tape in the right direction.

eran
01/21/2010, 03:13 PM
You will want to tape the threads. It is common for the unions to leak and be difficult. You will have to tape the snocky out of it and reseat it. It's best to have the union in an area where if it drips it will not cause a problem such at directly over the sump. The fitting going into the pump or the pump itself may have a hairline crack from over tightening. Inspect carefully. Many times the fitting will split at the seams and be very hard to notice on visual inspection. If it's cracked then it will have to be replaced. It's a very common occurrence.

If it's the union itself, check that the o-ring in the union isn't rolled.

If its the threads, be sure you wound the tape in the right direction.

I will check the fitting and I have no idea the tape had to be going in a certain direction!!! Thanks guys:thumbsup:

billdogg
01/21/2010, 03:50 PM
IMO, you should skip the tape - use TFE (teflon) paste instead - it will work itself into the threads and will not leak. good advise on the o rings too.

eran
01/22/2010, 01:12 AM
IMO, you should skip the tape - use TFE (teflon) paste instead - it will work itself into the threads and will not leak. good advise on the o rings too.

I went to lowes and found some stuff called oakley great white teflon paste. I smeared it all over the male threads and all was great. At least for a few minutes. The threaded fitting that connects to my dart pump still has a small drip. One drip every 30 seconds. I am going to take it apart and add more paste and hope that it will fix the small drip.

billdogg
01/22/2010, 06:45 AM
check for burrs on the threads. I have never had a leak using paste. It does not take too much either - just a small bead around the male threads should do the trick

ISLAND REEF
01/22/2010, 07:06 AM
+1 on the teflon paste, works great on my dart, they are known to be difficult to get to stop leaking, make sure you DONT use both tape and paste

sedor
01/22/2010, 07:21 AM
This is why I HATE threaded PVC. I guess you don't have much of a choice going into the dart though. My return is submersed. Other than right over the pump, I went unionless and cemented everything when I redid my plumbing. Finally no leaks!

sowellj
01/22/2010, 08:35 AM
This is why I HATE threaded PVC. I guess you don't have much of a choice going into the dart though. My return is submersed. Other than right over the pump, I went unionless and cemented everything when I redid my plumbing. Finally no leaks!

How do you remove the pump for maintenance?

Chris27
01/22/2010, 09:05 AM
As mentioned before, open up the unions and visually inspect the o-ring. O-Rings can get dry and crack, they could have a small chunk missing from them or they could be seated improperly. Additionally, the o-ring grove can get some dirt in there that will prevent the o-ring from doing it's job. Another good idea is to use an o-ring grease on it to help it seal better, a silicone based grease works best as Vaseline or similar product (petroleum based) will degrade the o-ring over time.

Jagermeister
01/22/2010, 09:13 AM
If you've taped and retaped, pasted and repasted and it still leaks, I'd lean towards what Playa-1 mentioned, a cracked pump fitting. I've been in your exact situation before and was frustrated by not being able to stop the leak. After visually inspecting the pump fitting (it took a while because it was hard to see) I found a hairline crack.

eran
01/22/2010, 11:06 AM
+1 on the teflon paste, works great on my dart, they are known to be difficult to get to stop leaking, make sure you DONT use both tape and paste

no i used just paste. im going to put some on the female as well

i wish i could but cant. i wouldnt mind having a nice red dragon return pump:spin3:

How do you remove the pump for maintenance?

the paste doesnt harden. it is just slightly messy

tangtang clown
01/22/2010, 01:19 PM
OK, have you tried a different male threaded fitting to go into the pump?
Is the female thread part of the dart cracked, or are the threads messed up?
I would in the intake and see if the threads are stripped or broken, use a flashlight.

After you replace the male PVC fitting, put either Pipe Dope, or teflon paste on the threads and let it air dry for a few minutes, but not completely dry. Then, before you thread it back together, put a metal/stainless hose clamp around the black threaded intake of the dart. Then thread the PVC into the pump and tightened the hose clamp around the pump intake. Let us know what happens. Good Luck.