PDA

View Full Version : Need help with leveling a 120.

Sea-nut
01/21/2010, 06:40 PM
I just finish setting up in wall 120. The stand is perfectly level but on one side I can slide a paper under the tank. Tank is empty right now I don't believe I would have any problem, I was thinking to put a sheet of paper before filling the tank. I like to know what you guys think.
Thanks.

stormrider27
01/21/2010, 06:48 PM
Go to Lowe's, HD or a counter top shop and get some laminate samples from the color sample racks. They are small, will not compress under pressure and wont dissolve if they get wet on occasion.

tmgrash
01/21/2010, 06:52 PM
Did you put a foam sheet underneath? If not I definately would.

Sea-nut
01/21/2010, 07:01 PM
The laminate would be too thick, are you suggesting to put it all around or just one side.
No I didn't put foam under it , I never put foam under my tanks before it probably a good idea.

tmgrash
01/21/2010, 07:03 PM
The laminate would be too thick, are you suggesting to put it all around or just one side.
No I didn't put foam under it , I never put foam under my tanks before it probably a good idea.

Would solve your paper thin leveling issue. Get the 3/4" stuff, like $10 from HD

Sea-nut
01/21/2010, 07:28 PM
I don't have enough room for 3/4"foam because of the opening in front.
But I am thinking of putting layer of vinyl flooring under it . You think that be good enough ? Do you think I really need to do anything about it.
Thanks.

noahm
01/21/2010, 08:26 PM
I don't have enough room for 3/4"foam because of the opening in front.
But I am thinking of putting layer of vinyl flooring under it . You think that be good enough ? Do you think I really need to do anything about it.
Thanks.

Vinyl flooring might be a good choice if it is just a paper thin gap.

gvidal14
01/21/2010, 08:36 PM
Second on the foam. I have used Styrofoam and it works great.

uncleof6
01/21/2010, 09:08 PM
First, you do not put foam under a rimmed glass tank. PERIOD. Foam is not for correcting the stand-- it is to relieve POINT STRESS on the bottom panel of rimless glass tanks, caused by irregularities (small bumps etc.) in the top surface of the stand. A non-flat (non-coplaner) top surface is not an irregularity. Putting foam under a rimmed glass tank can and does put pressure on the bottom panel, and can lead to failure. The only time you use foam, is when the bottom glass panel is in contact with the stand top.

You want the tank to sit square and flat on the stand, WITHOUT the use of adjunctive aids. 1/16" of twist, (probably less) to the tank, and it will most likely crack the tank. The foam will not save the tank-- was just a thread concerning this, and the tank failed WITH FOAM under the tank. (Complete with a picture showing how the foam compressed due to the pressure)

Sure it is "paper" thin flaw in the stand: that means you only have a "paper thin" correction to fix the stand properly. Do the work. Do it right, do it once. Get a long straight edge, and work the stand.

Jim

es1887
01/21/2010, 09:21 PM
you are talking about a 64th of an inch maybe. i would fill the tank up with freshwater get a very accurate level and see how level it is with water. no tank, stand or anything for that matter is exactly perfect over a four or five foot length. if it sits square and level with water then the stand could have just been a little twisted. i have built many custom stands for my lfs. i must say that concrete, subfloor issues, and various other problems can contribute to the tank/stand having a tiny gap when the tank is not filled. a 64th of an inch is not going to be a problem. i can tell you that nobodies tank is that square. what happens when water spills on a floor. the subfloor softens a little and moves. people do not brake their tanks down and make sure that the subfloor/stand are perfectly square. if you are really worried about it get some thin metal and put it under the side of the stand that is not perfect.

Matt850
01/21/2010, 09:49 PM
The two above posts are dead on. If you have a rim on the bottom of your aquarium you should never use the foam, that is for flat bottom tanks only. 1/64th of an inch, barely enough for a sheet of paper should disappear once it is filled with water and shouldn't be much of a risk at all. My 90 was off a bit more than 1/64 and a little less than 1/32. Once filled it became level and never looked back.

Sea-nut
01/22/2010, 06:00 AM
Thanks every one for your help.
I was checking it this mornning ,with the flash light shinning under it I could see the gap, What I think it is; is the imperfection in sanding and painting of the surface causes little bumps that lifts the tank up on that side.
I think by putting a thin layer of vinyl flooring under it, it should correct the problem.
Thanks.

sowellj
01/22/2010, 07:31 AM
If it is really paper thin .... don't worry about it. The weight of the tank w/water in it will cause the stand to conform to the tank ... assuming it is a paper thin difference.

iwishtofish
01/22/2010, 08:11 AM
Are we going on the assumption here that the plastic trim on tanks is always square and level itself? Just how careful are they at the factories when they are building these tanks?

Maybe we are worrying too much about exact tolerances. It's just that if we are talking about being that precise, then I imagine other factors start to come into play (ie stand or floor settling, silicone stretching, tank not seated perfectly in rim...)

I have seen a lot of tanks at some LFS lined up one after the other on huge wood racks. I find it hard to believe they built those racks to exact tolerances. I wonder how often those tanks crack?

I'm not saying people shouldn't worry about it at all. I'm building a stand, and I know I do!

amj991
01/22/2010, 08:58 AM
I had the same issue with my 120. I just had a piece of oak trim laying around. like a 1 by 3 I just cut a piece really thin with a miter saw and stuck it between tank and stand. I have never had any problems with mine.

amj991
01/22/2010, 09:05 AM
I had the same issue with my 120. I just had a piece of oak trim laying around. like a 1 by 3 I just cut a piece really thin with a miter saw and stuck it between tank and stand. I have never had any problems with mine.

Sea-nut
01/22/2010, 05:47 PM
Well Duct Tape did it again; I marked all gaps then moved the tank and duct tape those areas,this was a cheap and very thin tape so in some places I had to put several layers.
Then I put vinyl flooring all around and that took care of it.
But I got to say that I agree with IWISHTOFISH that these tanks are not perfect and as long as the stand is fairly level everything should be fine.