PDA

View Full Version : Combining Hyposalinity with Formalin? Experienced answers appreciated

Ben_Im
01/22/2010, 03:07 PM
I have an Onyx clown that I've had in hyposalinity QT for about 2 weeks. When I first bought him I saw a few white spots that I assumed was Cryptocaryon (please don't call it "ich"). All the white spots have disappeared but I was thinking about adding some Formalin to my QT to possibly prevent Brook or Amy.

My Salinity is at 1.010

Has anyone actually done Hyposalinity WITH Formalin? Please no "internet answers", I'm looking for actual experience.

I'll be using Kordon's Formalin 3. I was thinking about bumping the salinity up to at least 1.015 before adding formalin. Thoughts?

sfboarders
01/22/2010, 03:31 PM
1.010 is not low enough and 2 weeks is not long enough for hypo. You must have it at 1.008 for at least 4 weeks. If it were me I'd bring it up to 1.020 and start formalin.

Ben_Im
01/22/2010, 04:03 PM
1.010 is not low enough and 2 weeks is not long enough for hypo. You must have it at 1.008 for at least 4 weeks. If it were me I'd bring it up to 1.020 and start formalin.

1.010 is plenty low enough from what I've read. I know some websites say 1.009, but there have been studies that show simple protozoans can't withstand 1.010-1.013. I think people suggest 1.009 just to be 110% sure.

I know 2 weeks supposedly is not enough, but I think so much "knowledge" in this hobby is dictated by one authority, and everything just gets repeated.

Here's how I see it. Crypto is in its parasitic (or feeding) stage for 2-7 days before it drops off the fish to multiply. Majority of treatment is waiting for the free-swimming stage where the protozoans are susceptible to osmotic shock. During the supposed 4-week treatment process, the fish is really only infected for the first 2-7 days. After that, the parasite drops off the fish, and gets ready to hatch into the free-swimming stage (where they will lyse). The reason why Crypto treatments are 4 weeks long is because there are cases where Crypto protozoa don't hatch for 28 days, hence the 4 week treatment period. In that sense, I believe fish are usually cured of Crypto in 1-2 weeks, because by that time, the parasite has already completed its feeding stage.

wooden_reefer
01/22/2010, 04:50 PM
Here's how I see it. Crypto is in its parasitic (or feeding) stage for 2-7 days before it drops off the fish to multiply. Majority of treatment is waiting for the free-swimming stage where the protozoans are susceptible to osmotic shock. During the supposed 4-week treatment process, the fish is really only infected for the first 2-7 days. After that, the parasite drops off the fish, and gets ready to hatch into the free-swimming stage (where they will lyse). The reason why Crypto treatments are 4 weeks long is because there are cases where Crypto protozoa don't hatch for 28 days, hence the 4 week treatment period. In that sense, I believe fish are usually cured of Crypto in 1-2 weeks, because by that time, the parasite has already completed its feeding stage.

What if 5 of the waterborne bugs got established onto a fish before it is shocked, formalined, coppered to death?

Why would you say that one lifecycle length of treatment will be enough?

sfboarders
01/22/2010, 06:46 PM
1.010 is plenty low enough from what I've read. I know some websites say 1.009, but there have been studies that show simple protozoans can't withstand 1.010-1.013. I think people suggest 1.009 just to be 110% sure.

I know 2 weeks supposedly is not enough, but I think so much "knowledge" in this hobby is dictated by one authority, and everything just gets repeated.

I have heard where 1.010 is not low enough. The .001 difference can end up being a failed treatment. But if you think that's low and 2 weeks is long enough that's cool. Hopefully you have a successful treatment at the salinity and that treatment time.

From my personal experience 1.008 at 4+ weeks (5 weeks for me) worked for me. I wish you the best of luck. :)

Ben_Im
01/22/2010, 08:36 PM
The fish never touched my DT, it went straight into QT. It was acclimated over a period of several hours and in it went. It started eating right away and swims around the tank curiously. Overall really healthy.

No white spots, and the salinity has been constant at 1.010 for 2 weeks now. According to the life cycle of Crypto, all of what was on the fish, is now either on the substrate ready to hatch, or in free-swimming form (in which it would have lysed from the osmotic pressure).

I fail to see any flaw in my logic. If I were to raise the salinity on my QT, then there is a strong possibility that whatever Crypto hatches during that time can reinfect the fish. However, I would make up new 1.010 water with same temperature and pH in a completely uncontaminated bucket. I'll had an airstone and acclimate the fish over sometime until I return him back into the DT.

Sfboarder, I appreciate the concern, but I've had luck with 1.010 in the past for 3-4 weeks. I'm just trying to logically reason why 2 weeks is enough to treat the FISH (not the tank of course). I'll update this thread 4 weeks after I put the Onyx back into the DT.

chshwong
01/28/2010, 10:02 PM
so i want to know, did you really combine hyposalinity with series of formalin treatment? how did it go? :)