PDA

View Full Version : Apex Wireless Question

jefft321
01/22/2010, 04:09 PM
I have a lynksys wirless router in my living room that I use for my laptop computer, my tank is down in the basement. What do I need to buy to make the Apex wireless? Do I need to buy an additional router since they are so far apart? I have heard other people mention a gaming adaptor with a bridge, is that what I need to buy? Any suggestions on an inexpensive, but reliable model?
Thanks, Jeff

kenargo
01/22/2010, 04:58 PM
If you have a wireless router then you should only need a Game Adapter. They are pretty much all equal (never heard of a bad one) and often you can find a LinkSys or D-Link on Ebay (or referbished) for $20-35 (which is a really good price).

jefft321
01/23/2010, 02:09 PM
I have the Lynksys Router WRT54-G. How do I access it to make the changes that you show on your web site? You have a picture of a Lynksys screen. Also, I typed in 192.168.1.50 on my web browser and I get an error message from Cox communications? I have the Eithernet cable hooked into the back of my computer, is that correct? or should it be connected to the wireless router?
Thanks, Jeff

jefft321
01/23/2010, 02:17 PM
I just figured it out! I connected the Eithernet cable to the router and entered username/password. Now, if I want to change them do I change it in the apex controller and then do I have to re-start or do anything else to get the router to know that I changed the username/password or is it automatic?

jefft321
01/23/2010, 02:19 PM
Also, the next step in the manual states that I have to configure my router? If it's working now, why would I do that? Currently I am accessing my aqua controller without configuring the router. I initially tried to figure it out, but was unsucessful. I really didn't understand the instructions on the port forward, can someone help? or am I ok since it is accessing the apex right now?

kenargo
01/23/2010, 06:58 PM
You would only need to 'configure the router' if you wanted to access the controller from the public internet.

varyhare
01/24/2010, 06:41 AM
I use the WA600N gaming adapter from Linksys if your running at 802.11N and registered the WAN IP through dyndns.com. Just don't forget the Port Forwarding on your Wireless router. I have the Apex Lite and it is incredible. Best equipment ever bought for my reef tank.