PDA

View Full Version : My 1st saltwater tank 200gal. build

Flip777
01/23/2010, 07:15 AM
I origianally was going to build a 75 gallon in the wall in our hallway but I came across a 200 gallon tank and stand already set-up. What I gave for the 200 gall it would of costed me that to set my 75 gallon up. I cant wait till the 6th of Febuary to go and pick-up my tank. The 8th of Febuary I begin cutting the whole for this monster. I will post several pictures and keep updates.

I am not sure what all is going in this tank. I know I am putting corals, reef, live grass, seahorses, and a bunch of other stuff in. I have to do alot of research on what will work for what I want. If anyone has any Ideas let me know. If you also have ideas on breeding fish please let me know. I am also looking for ideas on setting this tank up. :beer::beer:

I am also looking for ideas on going LED lighting only.

iwishtofish
01/23/2010, 07:38 AM
Wow - sounds like you got a great deal! :) That's a big tank, and you should have room for just about anything!

Spend a couple months researching. In all honesty, that's about how long it takes (at the least) to read enough threads and study enough topics to do things right the first time and not make mistakes that are hard to recover from.

Breeding fish sounds like a lot of fun to me, although I have heard it is time consuming and challenging. I may try it someday.

Seahorses typically require a species-specific setup. They do well in conditions that aren't ideal for a typical reef tank (ie. they like lower temp, lower flow, less light, can't compete for food, are easily harassed).

Are you going to have a sump beneath the stand?

Good luck and keep us posted! Pics, pics, and more pics as you go, please! :)

thebkramer
01/23/2010, 07:46 AM
WOW!! Thats a massive build. Good Luck!! I can't wait to see your process and of course the finished product!! If on'y we all could get 200g tanks!!! But even then, we would still want to go bigger LOL! Have fun, have patience, and enjoy it!!

CMS!
01/23/2010, 07:51 AM
Good luck with what you are doing it sounds like it will be a big undertaking. Just do a lot of research first becasue that is a big tank and it can be a big mistake in dollars.

iwishtofish
01/23/2010, 07:53 AM
Here's a bunch of setup topics to research -

* Overflow(s) - You'll need one if you have a sump. You can choose an over-the-top siphon overflow, or drill the tank for a more worry-free approach;

* Sump - Figure out your configuration. Will it have a refugium? Place for protein skimmer, other types of filtration reactors?;

* Return pump - Pumps water up to the tank so it can overflow back down;

* Heaters - How many? For your tank, several smaller ones might be best, in case one sticks on;

* Powerheads - How much flow will you need?

* Skimmer - Not something to skimp on, and will cost most money next to lights, probably;

* Lights - LEDs that are good are very expensive. What type of light will you need for what you want to keep?;

* Powerstrips + GFCIs - think safety!;

* Plumbing - What type? Leave options for future hookups...;

* Live rock/dry rock - How much? Which type?;

* Thermometers - Which are most accurate (many are not);

* Hydrometer (or refractometer) - Hydrometers are often not precise;

* Test kits - No testing can mean no success;

* Salt mix - What kind?;

* RO/DI unit (or distilled water) - Tap water = algae and other problems;

* Magfloat scraper - Gotta keep that glass clean! :)

* Autotopoff - Saves trouble and keeps salinity stable

*** Livestock - Who can live well with who? Under what conditions? Do you need to QT? How to set up a QT tank...

Marsha
01/23/2010, 08:38 AM
Book Recomendations:
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael S. Paletta
Aquarium Keeping & Rescue by Carl DelFavero

both of these books give you basics and the essential ground work from which to build your reef.

Flip777
01/23/2010, 06:43 PM
Wow - sounds like you got a great deal! :) That's a big tank, and you should have room for just about anything!

Spend a couple months researching. In all honesty, that's about how long it takes (at the least) to read enough threads and study enough topics to do things right the first time and not make mistakes that are hard to recover from.

Breeding fish sounds like a lot of fun to me, although I have heard it is time consuming and challenging. I may try it someday.

Seahorses typically require a species-specific setup. They do well in conditions that aren't ideal for a typical reef tank (ie. they like lower temp, lower flow, less light, can't compete for food, are easily harassed).

Are you going to have a sump beneath the stand?

Good luck and keep us posted! Pics, pics, and more pics as you go, please! :)
Yes I am going to have a 40 gal sump, and everything is below. I am also going to have 100 gallon tank for refill and drain

Flip777
01/23/2010, 06:55 PM
I have baffles in each coroner, My lighting is uv lights, high intensity lighting with ballasts, and several hello lights , but that will all change when I find a cheap supplier for led kits. I am buying an electronic thermonitor plus I have an infared one, I have 80 pounds live rock, several hundred pounds live sand. I am doing my own wiring with its own breaker switch plus solor power.
My friend is giving me alot of coral and reefs. some poly's , zoanthids , and a few other. He has 3 tanks andwe are going to be experimenting with this tank, basically with lighting and solor power to run most of my power for this tank.
I only have 750.00 in this so far by the time I am done I should be around 2500.00. I am trying to figure a way that everyone can afford this hobby. It's a beautiful hobby!

Flip777
01/24/2010, 10:27 AM
Is there any good on-line resources for saltwater tanks? Between my friend helping and me checking resources we should be able to succeed. I am also wondering what is the best salt mix to buy? How many Skimmers should I run?

iwishtofish
01/25/2010, 09:41 PM
Is there any good on-line resources for saltwater tanks? Between my friend helping and me checking resources we should be able to succeed. I am also wondering what is the best salt mix to buy? How many Skimmers should I run?

Flip777, Reef Central is the best online resource for the saltwater aquarium hobby, IMO. I am sure you can succeed - the key ingredients are research and patience.

Salt mix is a somewhat personal choice. There are many to choose from. Try checking out some related threads in the Reef Chemistry forum. Also try the SEARCH function.

Some people run more than one skimmer, but I think most just run one. There are poor skimmers, so-so skimmers, good skimmers, and excellent skimmers. Go for an excellent one, if you can.

I researched the solar power option a while back. Not many people go that route because the initial costs can outweigh the short-range (even medum-range) savings. It would be neat if you find a practical solution, though!

Calif-Reef
01/26/2010, 03:50 AM
LED lighting alone will run you your 2500.00 budget.
I am picking up some LED's from Eco-lamps
they will run over 4 grand for my 300 gal

Flip777
01/26/2010, 08:34 AM
Flip777, Reef Central is the best online resource for the saltwater aquarium hobby, IMO. I am sure you can succeed - the key ingredients are research and patience.

Salt mix is a somewhat personal choice. There are many to choose from. Try checking out some related threads in the Reef Chemistry forum. Also try the SEARCH function.

Some people run more than one skimmer, but I think most just run one. There are poor skimmers, so-so skimmers, good skimmers, and excellent skimmers. Go for an excellent one, if you can.

I researched the solar power option a while back. Not many people go that route because the initial costs can outweigh the short-range (even medum-range) savings. It would be neat if you find a practical solution, though!

I really appreciate the advice you gave me. I will check out a bunch of them forums you were telling me about . If you want you can add me as a friend. How good is a kentmarine skimmer?

Flip777
01/26/2010, 08:51 AM
LED lighting alone will run you your 2500.00 budget.
I am picking up some LED's from Eco-lamps
they will run over 4 grand for my 300 gal

Man thanks for the advice but remind me to never go where you shop. I found this set-up 3' long with 198 white led's for 35.00 the lumans on this light is almost 800, 120 degrees.It gives off 100 watts of light and uses only 11 watts of power. The daylite white is 10,000 K and the night blue is 30,000 K. and I am getting them for 35.00 each. The set-up only weighs 1 lb. and it's states right on the box for salt water aquariums. I dont know how good it is but I am buying 4 - 6 for my 200 gallon saltwater and 4 for both my 75 gallon freshwater tanks. My 200 gallon tank ready to rock and roll I paid 750.00 for it off E-Bay. I pick it up 02/06/2010 in Ohio. By the time I get home with it I will Have 850.00 in it. Got to add delivery.:dance:

stealle
01/26/2010, 04:16 PM
This is friendly advise...

Please do not buy anything else for your tank. You are going to waste money and kill a lot of livestock. Those cheap ebay LED lights will not properly light your tank. Your corals will die if you try to use them as your primary light source. They can only be used for moonlighting effect and weak supplemental lighting. There is a reason people here on reefcentral are spending $1000, $2000, $3000, or even $4000+ on LED lighting. The reason is not because they forgot ebay existed.

Do not buy any livestock until you research or ask first. As mentioned, seahorses will die in the typical saltwater reef tank. You can not put seahorse in the same tank with most corals. Corals require moderate to high water flow, if you put seahorses in an environment like that they will look like they are swirling around in a toilet bowl. I remember what it is like to be new and excited and wanting to dive in, but save yourself some money and heart-ache. Stop now and start learning the hobby first. Again, it's difficult to project "tone" over the internet, but I am trying to give you friendly advice.

If you really want to light your tank with LED lighting on a budget, the best way to do that is to build your own fixture. Here is a thread to get you started: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1587273

That thread is a year old and is VERY long, but if you read it you will get many ideas on how to build your own LED fixture. People still post on that thread on a daily basing. It is a wealth of information on LED lighting. It is not the quantity of LEDs that you are looking for. It is the quality of LEDs. You would probably need at least 100 three watt LEDs over a 200 gallon tank, probably more like 150-200 3 watt LEDs. For primary LED lighting you have to use at least 1 watt bulbs. But 3 watt bulbs are much better and wha people are using in there DIY fixtures. You will spend at least $1000 (that's conservative) for all the supplies to build a proper LED fixture for a 200 gallon tank. You will spend at least 2 to 4 times as much to buy a good/proper manufactured LED fixture. If you find an LED fixture with a price that sounds too good to be true, it is.

pco1988
01/27/2010, 02:17 AM
This forum has been one of my best tools when I started out (when I found it).

I spent so much money in bad equipment and killing livestock (poor fish :() doing things like buying multiple bad protein skimmers and adding fish too early and too many too fast.

I have a 210 AGA and I have a GroTech Protein Skimmer which ran me $1000 several years ago! I don't ever regret buying this skimmer and is very reliable! One thing that appeals to me about it, is that it uses an Eheim pump. Honestly I have spent more money on the tank than I'd like to admit. But with quality equipment makes the hobby easier to handle IMO.

LEDs are very cool, but not worth the money yet IMO. If it was me use MHs or T5s or a combination of the two and save the money for other places (Protein Skimmer, Quality Test Kits, Refractometer).

Like everyone has said, go get yourself some literature and ask all the questions your heart desires on the forums! Or search the forums, chances are the question has already been asked over the years.

nikon187
01/27/2010, 02:17 AM
Yes unfortunatly those ebay LED's will not work as your main lighting. They will be great moonlights though.

Flip777
01/27/2010, 07:23 AM
I have halo lights with metal ballast lighting. I am not loosing my tank. As for the led's I have founds some through china with lumans over a thousand. I have them to agree to sponser my tank. But I am also keeping my ballasts and halo lights just in case. My buddy has 3 big salt tanks he is on here as well john Mccullough. He is very good at this and I do appreciate all the concern like I said its an experiment tank. I am trying to find better and cheaper ways to save money and save mother nature. Alot of people like this hobby but when you see the bills it makes you wonder.

Juruense
01/27/2010, 07:28 AM
Slow your roll OP...

iwishtofish
01/27/2010, 08:05 AM
Flip777, I know it sounds like people are just discouraging your creativity and good intentions, but that is not really the goal. There are a lot of extremely creative, innovative, frugal, and environmentally-conscious people on RC, and just about everything you have talked about has been thoroughly explored as an option. Over and over again! ;) That said, don't be discouraged from being innovative as long as you can recognize whether or not you will be reinventing the wheel! The more you read through these threads, the more you will get an overall picture of what has been tried and tested - what looks promising, and what doesn't.

Yes, it's an expensive hobby. And then, even once you have everything set up, you keep paying: salt, RO/DI filters, replacement bulbs, food, carbon, GFO, livestock, electricity...the list goes on! The bigger the tank, the more everything costs - exponentially! :sad2:

Sorry, but I have no idea about the Kent Marine skimmers.

L98-Z
01/27/2010, 08:08 AM
Slow your roll OP...

Agreed. People are trying to help, not discourage originality. Reefcentral is only here to help.

Flip777
01/27/2010, 09:31 AM
Flip777, I know it sounds like people are just discouraging your creativity and good intentions, but that is not really the goal. There are a lot of extremely creative, innovative, frugal, and environmentally-conscious people on RC, and just about everything you have talked about has been thoroughly explored as an option. Over and over again! ;) That said, don't be discouraged from being innovative as long as you can recognize whether or not you will be reinventing the wheel! The more you read through these threads, the more you will get an overall picture of what has been tried and tested - what looks promising, and what doesn't.

Yes, it's an expensive hobby. And then, even once you have everything set up, you keep paying: salt, RO/DI filters, replacement bulbs, food, carbon, GFO, livestock, electricity...the list goes on! The bigger the tank, the more everything costs - exponentially! :sad2:

Sorry, but I have no idea about the Kent Marine skimmers.

I am not discouraged.I have learned alot from this site. You are very wise. This year we will be converting our whole house to solor and wind but also staying on the grid. That way the electric company pays me when my meter goes backwards. I plan on running my whole house this way with backup generator(industial)

Flip777
01/27/2010, 09:36 AM
Agreed. People are trying to help, not discourage originality. Reefcentral is only here to help.

I am not discouraged its just we have experimented with a 30 gallon tank and have excelant response. I get back over to my buddy james I will use his camera to post some of our work. I am just ready to go to 200 gallons. My one friend he has 3 salt tanks and he is building his own leds he is on this site john mcculough. He is the guy hooking me up with alot of reefs and corals. He is the one who told me to sign up on this site cause I would learn alot. Man I am telling I have learned alot. Everyone please keep the advice coming I am not discouraged

stealle
01/27/2010, 09:40 AM
I am not discouraged its just we have experimented with a 30 gallon tank and have excelant response. I get back over to my buddy james I will use his camera to post some of our work. I am just ready to go to 200 gallons. My one friend he has 3 salt tanks and he is building his own leds he is on this site john mcculough. He is the guy hooking me up with alot of reefs and corals. He is the one who told me to sign up on this site cause I would learn alot. Man I am telling I have learned alot. Everyone please keep the advice coming I am not discouraged

Tell me... what kinds of corals and "reefs" are you getting?

Flip777
01/27/2010, 10:44 AM
Tell me... what kinds of corals and "reefs" are you getting?

some polyps, anemones, Zonithids, a brain. I have to research them cause I have to watch what I am putting in with my sea horses. I am even going to try to put a clown fish with them but make their colonies on seperate sides of the tank cause clowns might take there food. Not sure pointers please

Flip777
01/27/2010, 11:31 AM
I have ?'s freiends. Should I swap out the original 40 gallon sump to a 75 gallon. Where are some good resources for corals,reefs, and salt water fish to find out what will go together. I pick my tank and equiptment up next saturday and than I start the build on the 8th. I Should have it in the wall by wednesday the 10th. Cant wait . Do I have to let this tank cycle for a month before I stick anything in it? It already was set-up.

L98-Z
01/27/2010, 11:48 AM
some polyps, anemones, Zonithids, a brain. I have to research them cause I have to watch what I am putting in with my sea horses. I am even going to try to put a clown fish with them but make their colonies on seperate sides of the tank cause clowns might take there food. Not sure pointers please

You'll have more to worry about than the clowns just taking their food.

Flip777
01/27/2010, 12:19 PM
You'll have more to worry about than the clowns just taking their food.

why is that?

nikon187
01/27/2010, 12:29 PM
because clowns are highly aggressive, especially when breeding. I would not keep sea horses with clown fish. As mentioned already, seahorses do best in a low flow species tank not with corals that require much higher flow rates.

L98-Z
01/27/2010, 12:42 PM
because clowns are highly aggressive, especially when breeding. I would not keep sea horses with clown fish. As mentioned already, seahorses do best in a low flow species tank not with corals that require much higher flow rates.

Pretty much. I had wanted to do clown fish and seahorses as well. I've realized it just can't happen. My clowns are becoming more and more agressive as they age. Someone on here once mentioned that they claim approximately 25 gallons in a tank, and I'd agree. That's about right. They now attack my cardinals and flasher wrasses when feeding time comes.

I'm not against higher flow and corals with seahorses, I seen alot mentioned about seahorses being capable of higher flow than most people give them credit for (especially the larger ones). The clowns just aren't a good idea.

Flip777
01/27/2010, 12:56 PM
What if I put the clowns in my sump? I seen a briefing on here a guy had corals or reefs in his sump with fish. Can you actually do that? Where is good posting on taking care of reefs, corals, fish and sea horses

L98-Z
01/27/2010, 01:00 PM
What if I put the clowns in my sump? I seen a briefing on here a guy had corals or reefs in his sump with fish. Can you actually do that? Where is good posting on taking care of reefs, corals, fish and sea horses

Sure, as long as they're safe from the equipment down there.

Manwolf
01/27/2010, 01:20 PM
He is the guy hooking me up with alot of reefs and corals.

Just to clear things up (Dictionary.com)

Reef- a ridge of rocks or sand, often of coral debris, at or near the surface of the water.

Coral- the hard, variously colored, calcareous skeleton secreted by certain marine polyps.

How can someone hook you up with "Reefs?" Im not trying to be mean just want to clarify.

Flip777
01/27/2010, 01:23 PM
Its like live rock like you said, I only have a couple that come with the tank and I want to do a design or a cave of some sort w/ live rock(reefs). I am still new to this

Flip777
01/27/2010, 01:26 PM
Sure, as long as they're safe from the equipment down there.

Like building the equiptment seperate from them with acrylic glass

Flip777
01/27/2010, 01:30 PM

Reef- a ridge of rocks or sand, often of coral debris, at or near the surface of the water.

Coral- the hard, variously colored, calcareous skeleton secreted by certain marine polyps.

How can someone hook you up with "Reefs?" Im not trying to be mean just want to clarify.

Its like live rock like you said. I only have a couple that come with the tank i need more to do a design or a cave and bridge with live rock(reefs) I am new to all this, he could of been talking more rock. I will start posting pictures after the 8th of Febuary feel free to stop in

pmcadams
01/27/2010, 01:31 PM
About the time you think you have it all figured out, you will discover you really don't :)

http://www.amazon.com/Reef-Aquarium-Comprehensive-Identification-Invertebrates/dp/1883693128/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263419600&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Corals-Selection-Husbandry-Natural/dp/1890087475/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263419600&sr=1-8

Enjoy...

Flip777
01/27/2010, 01:40 PM
About the time you think you have it all figured out, you will discover you really don't :)

http://www.amazon.com/Reef-Aquarium-Comprehensive-Identification-Invertebrates/dp/1883693128/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263419600&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Corals-Selection-Husbandry-Natural/dp/1890087475/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263419600&sr=1-8

Enjoy...
I am way far from having it figured out. I dont even know how exactly the way I am going to set it up. I will wait till it gets here and see how she goes. It's an experiment.I know when she is fired up it will have the halo lights that came with it hooked up till I finish building my led's. As far as solor that will be tied into my main grid for the house.

Flip777
01/27/2010, 02:13 PM

Not to get you aggervated or nothing but coralreefs.wikepedia.com has a better discription of coral reefs.

Manwolf
01/27/2010, 04:42 PM
cant wait to see the pictures and the set up

sdc19982002
01/27/2010, 04:44 PM
Like above posts,slow down. If you don't you will cost yourself a ton of money. Going too fast and cheap don't work with this hobby. You really need to read,read and read more before you go any farther. We've all been in your shoe's and know how hard it is to not throw the tank together and get fish in it. Read,read,read,read.

Flip777
01/27/2010, 08:16 PM
Like above posts,slow down. If you don't you will cost yourself a ton of money. Going too fast and cheap don't work with this hobby. You really need to read,read and read more before you go any farther. We've all been in your shoe's and know how hard it is to not throw the tank together and get fish in it. Read,read,read,read.

Actually I was reading one of the forums from here this guy has solor tube lights and if you see the differance in these light compared to halo lights you would be impressed.He has a thread comparing them to halo it was better than halos and everyone on his thread agreed. He said he was saving 150.00 a month. The more I read this there were 5 people who had these tubes. One thing I have learned from my great grandpa is do your research before you speak or act and if you cant back it up don't say it. I am new to salt fish but what I know and have learned, escpecially reading I will blow it all away and it wont cost me to run my tanks like it does everyone else. The thing that will get me at this point is what you can stick in the tank with other cause I am dumb founded. SOLOR ALL THE WAY NOW EVEN LIGHTS

grlindsay
01/29/2010, 11:04 AM
just for fun I bought 4 of these. I'm going to install them in the hood with my other lights.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2710

Wouldn't work as an LED to substitute for lighting but as an effect.