PDA

View Full Version : kid holding mantis shrimp

gsoaxionsk8
01/23/2010, 09:09 AM
Not sure if you guys have seen this video or not. I saw it on a local forum and thought i would share here. This kid has got to be nuts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV9z5e1r2KM&feature=PlayList&p=D782D11FE8721CF9&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=45

noahm
01/23/2010, 09:53 AM
You have to be pretty darn sure that it is comfortable with you before trying that. Doesn't appear to be a 'kid' though. :) That thing is near 12" he says.

KMP
01/23/2010, 10:04 AM
Nope, not a kid - employee at one of our local fish stores (unfortunately, closed down about 6 months ago). They had quite a few mantis' and I never recall hearing him getting speared or smashed. That said, I'd never do that.

billysanborn
01/23/2010, 10:06 AM
i have an 8 inch specimen of that mantis, a L. Maculata. i suspect that it had just molted and was no danger, or was sick. If some mantis shrimps are kept under too much light they get shell rot and slowly and painfully die as a result of not being able to molt...imagine not being able to change your clothes and continuing to grow. These amazing animals are exploited in our trade IMO, rookies and novices are better off leaving them alone, I would never dare try that stunt with mine, he can cut a damsel almost in half!

davocean
01/23/2010, 10:17 AM
Wow, file that under things NOT to do!LOL
Dude seems to be pretty comfy w/ it, but hope one day his nickname aint lefty!LOL
The "super mantis" vid after it is cool too.