PDA

View Full Version : running carbon and phosban

flyline
01/23/2010, 04:22 PM
i have had several reef tanks in the past but now im in the prosses of setting up a 125gal reef and so this is my biggest by far...what i was wondering is what people think about running carbon and phosban? i have never used them before so im not sure if i should pop the money to get a phosban reactor and something for the carbon..ive spent alot of money sofar so i dont want to pick this up if its not needed but if you guys think it would be benificial then i would...im just trying to do my homework before this tank gets set up and keep my wallet in my pocket unless its somthing to really benifit the tank....thanks for the replies:beer:

flyline
01/23/2010, 05:45 PM
sorry guys but i have to bump this to get some info thanks

spleify
01/23/2010, 06:05 PM
Yes they are beneficial. I have been running dual reactors for years and years, and personally like the performance of them.

Two Little Fishes makes a great little unit, its the Phosban 150, and Bulk Reef Supply makes some nice single and dual setup reactors. Don't forget to order small power heads also when ordering the reactors.

HTH

billdogg
01/23/2010, 06:08 PM
I run both on both my systems. For a tank your size I would go with 2 x singles from www.bulkreefsupply.com. so that they can be controled and changed independantly. Great prices on gfo and carbon, as well as fast service (usually to my door in 2 - 3 days)

drparker
01/23/2010, 06:15 PM
I run both on both my systems. For a tank your size I would go with 2 x singles from www.bulkreefsupply.com. so that they can be controled and changed independantly. Great prices on gfo and carbon, as well as fast service (usually to my door in 2 - 3 days)

+1, I've had both the phosban and BRS reactors, The BRS is much better for just a little more.

cloak
01/23/2010, 06:30 PM
I've side stepped both and have gotten by just fine. No refuge either. Good husbandry I guess.

flyline
01/23/2010, 06:42 PM
ok is gfo the same as fosban or is it different? witch is better? thanks

drparker
01/23/2010, 08:08 PM
Same thing, Phosban is a commercial product that is nothing more than GFO. BRS sells GFO at a better price.

spleify
01/23/2010, 08:55 PM
GFO=Granular Ferric Oxide

flyline
01/23/2010, 09:20 PM
ok thx guys

Chris27
01/23/2010, 10:25 PM
GFO, phosban, Phos Guard, Rowa Phos and Extrax Phos, are all products to remove phosphates from the water column...

I have (2) Two Little Fishies 550 four inch reactors on my 180, I run Activated Carbon in the first which feeds into the second with Extrax Phos. The TLF reactors are downright huge and hold more then enough media to last over a month.