PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys do???

Patriot54
01/23/2010, 04:36 PM
I'm having a problem dealling with an algae growing on my sand, I know its not hair algae. I feed once a day, I'm not an over feeder either, just have one coral beauty in a 29 gallon tank. I have an Eshopps PSK-75 HOB protein skimmer, and I run chemi pure, just not very effectivly, its just hanging in the water by a powerhead. So I was wondering how you guys deal with algae problems? Is there anything I should be doing or not be doing?

luther1200
01/23/2010, 04:49 PM
I got a Diamond Goby and my sand is spotless ever since.

ChadTheSpike
01/23/2010, 04:51 PM
+1 :)

spleify
01/23/2010, 04:52 PM
What are your parameters? All of them.

What is your water change routine? Size and frequency.

hemi-cuda
01/23/2010, 06:04 PM
What's your circulation like? How old and how deep is the sand? What kind of lights and how long are they on? I always gently stir the top 1/2'' to 1'' or so of my sand every time I do my bi-monthly water changes.

candeewolf
01/23/2010, 06:16 PM
sand sifters do an amazing job of cleaning up algae on sand. The reason it can be difficult without a sand sifter is because very little water circulation is happening on the bottom, so lots of particles tend to stay there, and you get more algae. You can also stir the sand every couple days and that might work (especially with a small tank). If you do decide to get a sand sifter for that tank, make sure it eats prepared foods, as a 29 gal will not have enough substrate to feed a sand sifter by itself.

shellshocked
01/23/2010, 07:51 PM
I feed every two days and my fish do great. In my experience overfeeding is one of the basic problems people face. Also I am not a fan of deep sand beds...I use just enough to cover the bottom but not enough to really trap detruis of do anything.