PDA

View Full Version : Can a monti cap defend itself?

ritter6788
01/23/2010, 05:57 PM
I just got my first SPS frag, orange monti cap, from another reefer and it, so far, is doing really well. Polyp extension is good and it looks like it is trying to attach itself to the rock. I have some blue clove polyps that popped up near it and I was wondering if the monti cap can zap those things or will they grow on the coral? I know LPS can sting and softies use chemical warfare but I'm not sure on any SPS. Thanks in advance.

McCrary
01/23/2010, 06:08 PM
The clove polyps will probably beat the monti, SPS aren't very good at defending themselves from more aggressive coral.

sleepy.b.Floyd
01/23/2010, 06:17 PM
to my knowledge the only form of defense a monti cap has is the way it grows, it shades the light from other coral

ritter6788
01/23/2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks, I guess I'll be picking these off the rock soon.

lordofthereef
01/23/2010, 07:39 PM
Montis IME are probably one of the least aggressive corals you can find. They do grow like weeds though, at least for a stony.

OwenInAZ
01/23/2010, 08:01 PM
to my knowledge the only form of defense a monti cap has is the way it grows, it shades the light from other coral

I have a monti cap that took on a war coral and won :hmm5:

Ended up having to move the war coral.

Of course, I have another cap that is no match for one of my digis. So I think it just depends on the specific coral.

jflick345
01/23/2010, 08:41 PM
+1 on probably depends on the coral. I wouldn't gamble against a hydnophora or anything but my cap took out half a pocillopora frag that my turbo knocked up against it. I was gone for the weekend but couldn't have been more than a couple days and the portion of the frag touching it was nothing but a white skeleton

ritter6788
01/24/2010, 12:20 PM
I'm doing my best to move out the cloves but I'm not sure I'll ever get them all out of there. They grow up the side of my sinularia and it just shucks them off after a while. I didn't know if the monti cap would fare as well.

ritter6788
03/12/2010, 08:58 AM
The blue cloves lost out. I didn't remove any of them and the monti cap has completely grown over the whole patch.

sra127
03/12/2010, 11:39 AM
who do you think would win between a monti and a pagoda cup????
my bet was on the monti....
i was wrong. it couldnt have been more than 5 minutes. there was a dime sized patch of just skeleton left on my monti while the pagoda was dissolving what was left of the monti on his tentacles.

Zebodog
03/12/2010, 11:56 AM
who do you think would win between a monti and a pagoda cup????

Chuck Norris.

ludnix
03/12/2010, 12:52 PM
The blue cloves lost out. I didn't remove any of them and the monti cap has completely grown over the whole patch.

There is an orange monti-cap that pretty common that probably isn't actually a capricornus. I probably have the same one as you, which will annihilate any SPS coral it's faced against. I don't remember what the species actually is, but it's sold as a montipora capricornus, when it's actually much stronger than the other's in that species.

fasteddie99
03/12/2010, 12:53 PM
Chuck Norris.

Chuck Norris can push a bus uphill with a rope.

jubjub
03/12/2010, 12:55 PM
lol...i have some orange/purple cap that thought they could take on a blue milli of mine..ends up the milli just beat the stink outta the cap, and so the cap just started to circle it and there's a milli growin in the middle

fasteddie99
03/12/2010, 12:58 PM

Hey ritter, do you happen to have a pic of your monti? How much growth did you accually get from the frag I assume? I am curious because I just bought my first SPS which happen to be a Monti as well. :beer:

Mine was a $20 frag about 2" red in color. I will take a pic and post it after I get done painting the kitchen:hmm3:

ludnix
03/12/2010, 01:20 PM
Here's a picture of mine, it grows ridiculously fast and will eventually over take any coral in my tank if given time.
http://www.reefsome.com/gallery/u/ludnix/for-sale//thumbs/Montipora-sp-800x600.jpg (http://www.reefsome.com/gallery/focus/v/ludnix/for-sale/Montipora-sp.jpg)

ritter6788
03/12/2010, 01:49 PM
This is pic of it isn't very good. It's in the back of the tank and hard to get a good close up. But you can see the size of it. It was about an inch and you couldn't see it laying in the hole but now it's growing up the sides and out from the hole. There was blue cloves all around it in the bottom. It grows faster than some of my soft corals.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee283/ritter6788/P3070297.jpg