PDA

View Full Version : Coralline algae removal from acrylic.

BR549
01/24/2010, 08:16 AM
Good Morning,

I've been away from the hobby for a few years and I'm thinking about getting back into it, but I'm already at a bit of a crossroad. All of my previous tanks have been made of glass. I've been wanting to try acrylic, but I'm concerned about scratching the material while removing coralline algae from it. I'm not talking about heavy growth.....just the kind of growth you might get if you didn't clean a panel for a week, or two. Is this a problem with acrylic tanks?

Thank You,
Brian.

Hogwash
01/24/2010, 08:45 AM
I hate to admit that, that's is my biggest 'OCD' problem with my tanks. I cheated once and turned out the lights and cut back on water changes. I do not suggest the method. You just have to keep up cleaning, I love my Magnavores and have to use them daily to avoid scratches.

SDahmer
01/24/2010, 08:52 AM
Tried acrylic twice, gave up on it. I find the mag floats work, you just have to go at it for a while...:rolleyes:

nicknguyen
01/24/2010, 09:01 AM
i used the red acrylic scraper by kent. I get the short hand held one. It's the best I found so far to get hard algae off.

cdbias2
01/24/2010, 09:04 AM
Go with starfire glass if you want more clarity.

Kieth71
01/24/2010, 09:31 AM
Dobie pads...cut the sponge out and throw it away and use the pad thats remaining.It works the best bye far compaired to other things i have tried-HTH KIeth

spleify
01/24/2010, 10:13 AM
I have also had luck with the Kent scrapers for acrylic. I have also been using Mr. Clean Magic eraser pads for a few years too with very good success.

You can also go to your local acrylic shop and ask then for an acrylic that is a little softer than what your tank is. Just a small chunk of it will do the trick. Make sure it is cut "true" and straight, these make great scrapers. The ones I have are a milky white color.

HTH

Good luck

hillscp
01/24/2010, 11:02 AM
Old Credit cards. Been doing it for years :)

BR549
01/24/2010, 11:42 AM
You can also go to your local acrylic shop and ask then for an acrylic that is a little softer than what your tank is.

Hmmm.....this reminds me of a related matter that I've been wondering about. Does the acrylic used in making aquariums come in different grades of hardness and, therefore, scratch resistance? If so, then what grade is the hardest and who makes tanks out of that material? I apologize for the ground-ball questions, but my computer doesn't want to work with this site's search function. Computers.....I hate them. They know this and that is why they torment me.

noobtothereef
01/24/2010, 12:46 PM
they do sell scratch resistant acrylic but is SUPER EXPENSIVE, they have it listed on tap plastics site

cdbias2
01/24/2010, 01:01 PM
Extruded acrylic = soft
Cast acrylic = hard

spleify
01/24/2010, 02:03 PM
Near the bottom of page 3 of my build thread you can see what my scraper looks like.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1343381&page=3

spleify
01/24/2010, 02:04 PM
Here is the specific post that shows it

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12224251&postcount=73

SnowManSnow
01/24/2010, 02:06 PM
www.mightymagnets.com

they have an algae pad on there with a built in scraper that works GREAT.

before I discovered these things I scratched my acrylic tank all up. I don't think I've put a single scratch on it with these magnets and pads.

a little expensive but THE BEST maintenance product I've ever purchased without a doubt.

Worth the dime

b.