PDA

View Full Version : Cleaner Shrimp are Evil!!!!

dwanner
01/24/2010, 11:44 AM
I made the mistake of stocking my LPS tank with 3 cleaner shrimp and I've found out in a hurry that target feeding Scolys and Acans doesn't mix with keeping cleaner shrimp. I have several Scolys and Acan colonies so it would be impossible for me to put a 2 liter bottle top over each colony ever time I feed so my only alternative has been to trap these creatures. I successfully trapped 2 of the 3, but the remaining shrimp is extremely cautious now and will not get anywhere near the fish trap I've set up, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can catch my last shrimp or does anyone have suggestions as to a fish I can add that will eat the shrimp but not bother my snail only clean up crew. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this shrimp is driving me crazy!!!!!

Phyxius
01/24/2010, 11:52 AM
My 3 USED to do that also but I found a way to feed them first and then the corals second. I have/use long eye dropper style feeders to squirt mysis/brine/etc into the general area of my corals and also the shrimp. If I do a quick squirt to them first they leave the corals alone when they are feeding. The shrimp actually come out when they see the dropper now. Have not had an issue with food stealing in 2+ yrs with them now. They are the blood red variety though.
Might want to try this if you cant get the last one out....................

vivioo7
01/24/2010, 12:15 PM
try not feeding for two days, then the shrimp will be more willing to risk going into the trap for food

ReefiusMaxiumus
01/24/2010, 12:18 PM
Give the cleaners a large chunk of food to keep them busy, while you are feeding the corals.

dwanner
01/24/2010, 12:28 PM
I've tried the distraction method before and I don't know if my shrimp have larger than normal appetites or what, but they finish their distraction treat, no matter the size, and immediately start pulling food out of the mouths of the acans and scolys. I like the starvation method idea, that makes sense and its something I haven't tried yet, so hopefully it works, thanks everyone for your input!

davocean
01/24/2010, 12:35 PM
Maybe w/ just one it won't be such an issue?
I love my cleaners, and so do my fish, and I think my fish do benefit from their cleanings.
They do seem smarter than most would think, my peppermints learned what a trap was quickly too, I had to change to a different trap for the last of them.
My cleaners are cool, but they have learned that I will squirt food their way, and stay in one area.

jmski333
01/24/2010, 12:37 PM
a longnose hawkfish will take care of your shrimp problem.

luther1200
01/24/2010, 12:57 PM
Give the cleaners a large chunk of food to keep them busy, while you are feeding the corals.

+1 thats what I always did when I had shrimp. And then I stand by the tank with a turkey baster and gaurd the LPS until they have a good enough hold on the food. But usually if the shrimp had enough food that would solve the problem.

acoff87
01/24/2010, 05:44 PM
ive always gave each of my shrimp a shrimp pellet before feeding my lps. it keeps them busy long enough to feed everything else. im not sure if shrimp pellets have any detrimental effects on water quality, but its always worked for me.