PDA

View Full Version : Vodka Dosing Theory

Squidhead9
01/24/2010, 11:59 AM
I have done vodka dosing with two different tanks. In both cases it was very successful in pushing nitrates to an effective zero level. In both cases I eventually stopped dosing and did not see any negative impact (i.e. no increase in nitrates). I've seen posts by others regarding vodka dosing which seems to indicate the same outcome.

I'm starting to think that the vodka (carbon) helps initiate better proportions of good bacteria, but that after some point when a new equilibrium has been reached that it is not necessary. Perhaps it just helps reach the state faster but ins not required to maintain the state. Anyone have any thoughts on this idea.

Phillybean
01/24/2010, 12:37 PM
When I stopped dosing my Nitrates level rose :(

twerlinich
01/24/2010, 09:25 PM
Would you tell me more about vodka dosing or direct me to a reference where I can learn more about it? I'd like to learn more. Thank you -- Tom

Octoshark
01/24/2010, 09:49 PM
Would you tell me more about vodka dosing or direct me to a reference where I can learn more about it? I'd like to learn more. Thank you -- Tom

Vodka Dosing: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/25/2010, 04:49 PM
The rate at which nutrients build back will depend on many factors, and it may take a long time. If it never happens, other export methods are doing well for you, but it rarely causes a permanent change in the tank.

It is also possible that nitrate was limiting to bacteria growth, and that you have an excess of organic available in the tank that takes time to eliminate. Like dosing even when you are not.

If I stop organic carbon dosing even for a single day, green algae grows faster on the glass. I do not measure anything, and typically had undetectable nitrate even before dosing, but the dosing was clearly taking nutrients that when stopped went to the green algae. :)

wooden_reefer
01/25/2010, 05:10 PM
I have done vodka dosing with two different tanks. In both cases it was very successful in pushing nitrates to an effective zero level. In both cases I eventually stopped dosing and did not see any negative impact (i.e. no increase in nitrates). I've seen posts by others regarding vodka dosing which seems to indicate the same outcome.

I'm starting to think that the vodka (carbon) helps initiate better proportions of good bacteria, but that after some point when a new equilibrium has been reached that it is not necessary. Perhaps it just helps reach the state faster but ins not required to maintain the state. Anyone have any thoughts on this idea.

Carbon may be needed for denitrification bacteria for both cell structure and as food for energy.

Enjoy
01/25/2010, 06:22 PM
So if I have been dosing and I still have brown algae on rocks, sand, and acrylic, it would make sense that my dosing needs to be upped? My nitrates are 0 but my phosphate levels are very low (probably not zero, but undetectable with salifert).

I have slowed down on my dosing and it seems the algae problem has improved a little, but nothing dramatic. Im also dosing the ZEOvit aa, pohls xtra, coral vitalizer, and sponge power.

Great color, and decent growth, but still this gosh dang algae!!!

ideas?

(sorry for hijacking)

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/26/2010, 05:45 AM
So if I have been dosing and I still have brown algae on rocks, sand, and acrylic, it would make sense that my dosing needs to be upped?

Depends on what it is. If the brown algae is cyano, which may be able to use the carbon source you are dosing, more dosing may not help.

Squidhead9
01/26/2010, 01:05 PM
Randy, what dosing regimen are you using for carbon? Are you using any other prebiotic or probiotic supplements along with?

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/26/2010, 02:10 PM
I have not added any bacteria or enzymes.

I dose mostly vinegar (saturated with calcium hydroxide) and some vodka. I dose very high amounts relative to what others do (not sure why others dose so much less, except perhaps if they base it on measurements, which I do not). But since most use so much less, I'm reluctant to recommend my amounts to anyone else with a different system that may behave quite differently.

I do not measure nitrate and phosphate. I did not have appreciable nutrients when I started, so there was nothing to track as it declined. I use it as part of several different nutrient export methods (skimming, macroalgae refugia, tons of live rock (much of it in the semi dark), GAC, and ozone).

I got to the dose I'm using based on observing the tank creatures, green algae on the glass, etc. There is clearly still nutrient available as the macroalgae grows slowly, etc, but again, the doses are very high. Maybe 200-250 ml of vinegar and 5-15 (or more) mL of vodka daily into a system with a 120 display and several large lit refugia (that also have a few fish in them).