PDA

View Full Version : Help which fish to put in Frag Tank

Mattmike
01/24/2010, 03:25 PM
So I have a 50 gallon frag tank with half SPS and half soft corals mostly zoos....favias....I would like to know which fish I should put in there to do a good algae cleanup and not touch any of my corals. Thanks for the help guys.

cloak
01/24/2010, 04:36 PM
A very small Kole tang?

wolmutt
01/24/2010, 04:40 PM
Foxface rabbitfish may nip at corals, but I've never had one do it. They seem to be the best algae eaters in my experience.

Mattmike
01/24/2010, 04:41 PM
I had a large one and he used to nip at all my corals. He was 5 inches.
Foxface rabbitfish may nip at corals, but I've never had one do it. They seem to be the best algae eaters in my experience.

coraljunky
01/24/2010, 04:43 PM
A very small Kole tang?

+1 or a small scopas

Poeticlydead
01/24/2010, 04:52 PM
Lawnmower Blenny? Kole tang?

This all depends on what type of algae your trying to get rid of I guess but those reasonable choices.

Mattmike
01/24/2010, 06:04 PM
Ya I was thinking of adding both a lawnmower blenny and kole the problem is that lawnmower like to nip at sps...I need to get rid of hair algae and so forth that grow on the frag plugs and all around the tank...
Lawnmower Blenny? Kole tang?

This all depends on what type of algae your trying to get rid of I guess but those reasonable choices.

jmski333
01/24/2010, 06:06 PM
sailfin tang? might be too big of a fish for that tank but my lfs store puts those in all their frag tanks because they eat all algea's even bubble algea.

tkeracer619
01/24/2010, 07:25 PM
Fish don't get rid of algae, they create it. Adding a fish won't help an algae problem just mask it and make it worse in the long run. You need to get nutrients in check to solve algae issues.

I would add a melanarus wrasse instead to combat pests.

Mattmike
01/24/2010, 08:14 PM
Do you think a 6 line wrasses will do the job? and a lawnmower blenny?
Fish don't get rid of algae, they create it. Adding a fish won't help an algae problem just mask it and make it worse in the long run. You need to get nutrients in check to solve algae issues.

I would add a melanarus wrasse instead to combat pests.

tkeracer619
01/24/2010, 08:32 PM
Yes, 6 lines do great. Yellow Coris and Melanarus seem to hunt more aggressively.

Any time I add anything, stir anything up, move a rock, take a pump off the glass, ect... My melanarus pair is right there waiting for something they can eat. Any new frag added gets a complete look over instantly.

They are inexpensive and incredible looking. They are on the wholesale lists weekly so any LFS can order one in for you if they don't stock it.
http://www.iinet.com/~egeberg/Miscellaneous/Aquarium/Melanarus-checking-his-cup.jpg

A lawnmower is definitely a better choice then a tang for a frag tank.

Mattmike
01/24/2010, 08:44 PM
So should I get a Yellow Coris and a Lawnmower? Together? That good?
Yes, 6 lines do great. Yellow Coris and Melanarus seem to hunt more aggressively.

Any time I add anything, stir anything up, move a rock, take a pump off the glass, ect... My melanarus pair is right there waiting for something they can eat. Any new frag added gets a complete look over instantly.

They are inexpensive and incredible looking. They are on the wholesale lists weekly so any LFS can order one in for you if they don't stock it.
http://www.iinet.com/~egeberg/Miscellaneous/Aquarium/Melanarus-checking-his-cup.jpg

A lawnmower is definitely a better choice then a tang for a frag tank.

Peter Eichler
01/24/2010, 08:52 PM
Keep in mind that Halichoeres wrasses, which tellow "coris" and melanurus are, will jump and should also have a sandbed. I also prefer the starry blenny over a lawnmower blenny since they more readily accept prepared foods. Salarius fasciatus will sometimes starve to death rather than eat any prepared foods once the algae supply is depleted.

Mattmike
01/24/2010, 09:02 PM
Do I really need to put a sand bed in? I prefer not too...and also as far as the starry blenny they only come in medium sizes..don't you think thats a lil too large for a 50 gallon frag tank?
Keep in mind that Halichoeres wrasses, which tellow "coris" and melanurus are, will jump and should also have a sandbed. I also prefer the starry blenny over a lawnmower blenny since they more readily accept prepared foods. Salarius fasciatus will sometimes starve to death rather than eat any prepared foods once the algae supply is depleted.

tkeracer619
01/24/2010, 09:36 PM
No you don't have to have a sand bed but the wrasse will prefer it. You can put a flat bowl with some sand in it for them. They will find it.

The starry eye is a nice fish. I don't think it will be too big for your frag tank.

A starry eye and a yellow coris would be a good combo. I would cover the tank with egg crate or something similar to minimize the jumping chances.

Mattmike
01/25/2010, 01:08 AM
I just ordered a starry eye blenny and a yellow coris wrasse. We'll see how they do because I don't want them eating my copepods and so forth since those r good.

Peter Eichler
01/25/2010, 01:24 AM
I just ordered a starry eye blenny and a yellow coris wrasse. We'll see how they do because I don't want them eating my copepods and so forth since those r good.

There isn't a small wrasse alive that won't eat a copepod when presented with one. Good luck with the yellow coris, they ship poorly and if you want to greatly improve you chances of keeping one alive get some sort of container full of snad in the tank so it can feel comfortable and hide out for a couple days after you add it.

serpentman
01/25/2010, 09:16 AM
Agreed. As far as workers go, I like my 6-line. Although they eat copepods, every new acquisition is immediately scrutinized and picked over.