PDA

View Full Version : How to set your skimmer Wet or Dry?

hihikeke
01/24/2010, 07:44 PM
I saw most of the people saying that, but how to adjust it on the skimmer? Put the water level higher? Which is better? Wet or Dry??

Frogmanx82
01/24/2010, 09:26 PM
Increasing the air flow makes the skimmer run wetter. I run mine wet because I'm undersized. Wetter takes out more nutrients from the water. You may not need to run that wet depending on your bioload and skimmer size.

To get more help you need to post more specifics on what size tank you have and what skimmer you're running.

Metal Man 1221
01/24/2010, 10:30 PM
+1 depending on what your bio load is you can also restrict the water flow out of the skimmer via a gate valve (theyre a little more accurate) using less flow out to get wetter skimming, wich is how i do it so i can use max air flow to get optimal skimming because my skimmer is a little small for my system

hihikeke
01/24/2010, 10:59 PM
I have a 120g + 30g sump, having 8 fishes, 4 x 3" tangs, and some other small fishes, using the Euroreef 3 skimmer, I have set it with all air in.

smcfall176
01/24/2010, 11:31 PM
I was asking the same question and I was told that your skimmer if set right should produce a full collection cup a day. I would say play with the setting until you find the spot where it seems the skimmer just cannot give anymore. Goodluck

sedor
01/24/2010, 11:44 PM
No, your skimmer does not need to pull a full cup a day! I doubt it would unless it was mostly water. There aren't many differences in the efficiency of skimming wet or dry, skimming wet simply means you put more air into the skimmer, which causes more bubbles to rise up and overflow into the cup. When running "wet" these bubbles will be quite fluid and fall into the cup quite frequently. Skimming dry will produce a thicker, dryer foam that will produce much less skimmate, but it will be a lot more potent. Its really just a matter of preference. I think most people prefer to skim wet because it makes them feel like they are getting more out of the system.

Peter Eichler
01/25/2010, 12:22 AM
No, your skimmer does not need to pull a full cup a day! I doubt it would unless it was mostly water. There aren't many differences in the efficiency of skimming wet or dry, skimming wet simply means you put more air into the skimmer, which causes more bubbles to rise up and overflow into the cup. When running "wet" these bubbles will be quite fluid and fall into the cup quite frequently. Skimming dry will produce a thicker, dryer foam that will produce much less skimmate, but it will be a lot more potent. Its really just a matter of preference. I think most people prefer to skim wet because it makes them feel like they are getting more out of the system.

In addition, skimming wet also makes for easier more "pleasant" skimmer maintenance, which is the main reason I do it.

techreef
01/25/2010, 07:24 AM
+1 to Peter. I ran my Deltec fairly dry, and would need to take some toilet paper and wipe a 1/4" coating of skimmate sludge from the neck of my collection cup about once a week. It's mostly about the user's preference, I think.