PDA

View Full Version : extremely high nitrates!

twahl
01/24/2010, 08:42 PM
i recently purchased a used 120 gallon tank with about 200 pounds of live rock and about 2 inches of live sand. I only have one fish in the tank, a 34 inch tesselatta eel, and a reef cleaner pack. All of my water parameters are exactly where they should be except nitrates and they are at over 200ppm! I have done a half dozen 20% water changes and it hasnt helped much. I built melevs f style sump and put in macro algae and still not much. what i am wondering is if i try a phosban reactor and run some nitrate reducing media in it if you think that would help. When i moved the tank my sand and rock froze but i am getting good coralline alge growth now. Do you think that could be part of it. Any help would be appreciated.

Rhodan
01/24/2010, 08:48 PM
Recently Purchased? As in how recent? You tank could be cycling and nitrates will spike....Half a dozen or more water changes are probably still needed.

twahl
01/24/2010, 08:51 PM
I purchased it at the start of december. i was able to save better than 95% of the original water when i moved it and reuse it, but i didnt get readings before taking the tank down originally.

MyTank
01/24/2010, 09:55 PM
I had I guy come into my work with a water sample, and his nitrates were over 1000 ppm :eek: