PDA

View Full Version : Superglue Mount

ItsMee
01/25/2010, 09:35 AM
I was thinking of superglueing my frags due to my turbo snails being bulldozers. Is this really safe? Are there any brands that are not safe? Is there a brand that is best to use?

Also, is this the process?:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Attaching-Live-Corals-with-Super-Glue-Gel&id=951548

the glue drys under water?

And yet another question: I have a small tube of "Gorilla Super Glue" that was included with the Gorilla Glue I bought, is this safe to use? How do you tell if it is a gel vs a liquid glue?

Chiefsurfer
01/25/2010, 10:14 AM
Yes, superglue gel is a great method of adhering frags. I find my skimmer goes a bit nutzo for a few hours, but no visible damage from it. I use the "sandwich" method. Just SG gel can be broken by a determined hermit or big snail. So the "sandwich method uses Super Glue Gel, and "aquamend" epoxy putty. You take the frag, find a suitable spot. Dry off a little spot on the underside of the frag. Then you cut off a tiy piece of the aquamend, and mix it together until it's all white. Then you apply a little Super glue gel to the frag, then squish on the doughball of epoxy, then a little more super-glue gel. Dunk it in the water, head over to the rock you want it on, place it on, then squish and turn at the same time to compress/mold the epoxy, and break the "seal" the water created on the glue. Once you see it in person, you will know what I mean about the "seal" around the superglue gel. That shouldn't be tooo easy to break for most of your inhabitants.

As to the gorilla-brand, not sure.

thegrun
01/25/2010, 11:08 AM
I am unaware of any "super glue" cyanoacrylate gel that is not reef safe. Gorilla is definately okay. I use Loctite, but there isn't much of a difference between the various brands.

ItsMee
01/25/2010, 11:26 AM
I do't know if I believe that super glue works. I tried to glue a frag that was already attached to a plug to a rock by gluing the plug to the rock. I took it out, dried it off real good, applied the glue, immediately put it in the tank up against a rock, held it in place for about a minute, released....no dice. hmmm....

Chiefsurfer
01/25/2010, 11:39 AM
when superglue gel hits water it instantly forms a skin. For it to work you have to break that seal. Usually done with a twisting, or scraping motion, then it should work.

thegrun
01/25/2010, 11:40 AM
I apply glue directly to the coral (dry it off at the spot the glue will be placed first). If the rock you are attaching it to can be removed from the tank, apply some glue directly to the rock. Otherwise, submerge the coral and twist it back and forth on the place you want to attach the coral in an effort to get some of the glue to adhere to the rock. Then remove the coral and put more glue on the now semi-dry glue base. This time wiggle the coral around a little and then hold in place for about 30 seconds. It takes some practice and some corals are more difficult to glue than others, but i have always been able to get it to work.

evsalty
01/25/2010, 11:47 AM
I do't know if I believe that super glue works. I tried to glue a frag that was already attached to a plug to a rock by gluing the plug to the rock. I took it out, dried it off real good, applied the glue, immediately put it in the tank up against a rock, held it in place for about a minute, released....no dice. hmmm....
It works when done right. If you are trying to use it to glue a plug to a rock (porus surface) then NO it doesn't usually work. That is when you use epoxy. But I assure you that when used for the correct application it will work every time. Mainly you need a almost smooth surface to mount the frag on.

ItsMee
01/25/2010, 12:14 PM
That makes sense. I thought I tried the wiggling method but I guess I didnt do it right. Thanks everyone for the help and sorry for sounding like a naysayer :)

julie180
01/25/2010, 12:28 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1342011

All you need to know about mounting frags and corals.

Octoshark
01/25/2010, 01:35 PM
I use CorAffix and it works great:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=18325

Made for water

julie180
01/25/2010, 01:53 PM

Check out the link I posted. Its a sure way to get attachment. The problem with just super glue and rock is there are so many pores and places for the glue to go without making contact with what you are trying to attach.

HoppyBunny
01/25/2010, 04:01 PM
I have used lots of brands of super glue and they all seem to work, but i definitely recommend the gel over the liquid.