PDA

View Full Version : What size bulkheads do you recommend for a 75?

fishysteve
01/25/2010, 10:35 AM
I'm drilling my 75 on Wednesday and was thinking of using a 2" drain and a 1" return. I'm using my old Mag 18 so I don't have to buy another pump. I realize I will have to back off the flow some but will this work?

Chris27
01/25/2010, 11:01 AM
Drilling for two 1" or 1.5" drains would be a good idea, and give you some redundancy in the event one drain get's clogged. Additionally, two 1" returns would probably be better suited for the Mag 18.

fishysteve
01/25/2010, 11:08 AM
So two 1.5" drains and two 1" returns? I have three sizes of Tunze streams to choose from for the main flow. I have a Mag 5 on hand too. Would that be better than the 18 or is it too small for a return pump?

Chris27
01/25/2010, 11:26 AM
I used a mag 5 on a 75 for a day before I replaced it with a stronger pump. As for the drains - I've found to have a better turnover rate between the sump and DT with a center drain and a return in each corner then when I was using single reef ready's.

Here is a pic of my 180 with a center overflow - I think it looks much better then a box in the corner or a Reef Ready overflow.

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx360/ctalecki/100_0118.jpg

1DeR9_3Hy
01/25/2010, 01:29 PM
I used a mag 5 on a 75 for a day before I replaced it with a stronger pump. As for the drains - I've found to have a better turnover rate between the sump and DT with a center drain and a return in each corner then when I was using single reef ready's.

Here is a pic of my 180 with a center overflow - I think it looks much better then a box in the corner or a Reef Ready overflow.

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx360/ctalecki/100_0118.jpg

I like that overflow, i think i will be stealing that idea :)

Do you run the returns through the overflow?

jb61264
01/25/2010, 01:38 PM
I have a 75 and use a Mag 18. Before you drill, maybe consider doing the silent/failsafe overflow system described in the DIY forum. I did this and am VERY pleased with the results and amount of flow it can handle...when it says silent, it is dead silent :)

I tee my return to a sump and split my return at the base of my tank. I went with 1" plumbing througout my system except from where I tee my return to both corners where I reduce to 3/4" to increase the velocity out the returns

1DeR9_3Hy
01/25/2010, 01:59 PM
I have a 75 and use a Mag 18. Before you drill, maybe consider doing the silent/failsafe overflow system described in the DIY forum. I did this and am VERY pleased with the results and amount of flow it can handle...when it says silent, it is dead silent :)

I tee my return to a sump and split my return at the base of my tank. I went with 1" plumbing througout my system except from where I tee my return to both corners where I reduce to 3/4" to increase the velocity out the returns

Any pics of your setup?

chuckreef
01/25/2010, 02:35 PM
I'd drill for 1.5 " Bulkheads. You can alyas reduce the pipe or add a valve for the return, but you can't easily increase size of the whole once its set up.

If you look at the head loss charts, you'll see a big drop off from 1' to 1.5".

1.5 " retrun is aslo more in synch. with a 2" drain.

fishysteve
01/26/2010, 06:10 AM
jb61264 - I think I will do the silent failsafe overflow. It looks like a good idea. I've never built a coast to coast overflow before so we'll see how that goes.

Chris27
01/26/2010, 08:06 AM
I like that overflow, i think i will be stealing that idea :)

Do you run the returns through the overflow?

I used three external durso 1" drains - the box is 4 sided (front, sides, bottom) and attached to the glass with marine goop, as silicone just doesn't hold up. It's very very quiet, the only thing I hear is the slight hum of the Reeflo return.

As for the returns, there are two 3/4" Y locline returns, one on either side of the tank. If you look closely at the pic you can see them.

I'm a little OCD when it comes to symmetry, so the center overflow and returns on either side looks nice to me. It also makes the water pattern nice in the tank, so the drain sucks up some serious stuff.

fishysteve
01/26/2010, 09:00 AM
Chris27 - I think I'm going to make the overflow the entire length of the tank. Do you see any problems with doing this?

Chris27
01/26/2010, 11:49 AM
Chris27 - I think I'm going to make the overflow the entire length of the tank. Do you see any problems with doing this?

The only problem I see is squeezing it in there...otherwise it's a great idea. Mine is a little over 24" wide and I love it, I'm sure a coast to coast would work even better.

good luck

fishysteve
01/26/2010, 12:18 PM
Where did you get the marine goop?

jb61264
01/26/2010, 12:27 PM
Any pics of your setup?

Build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1619337

jb61264
01/26/2010, 12:34 PM
Chris27 - I think I'm going to make the overflow the entire length of the tank. Do you see any problems with doing this? Many people go coast-to-coast with their overflow design....I decided against it for two reasons:

1. i didn't want to see any silicone on the sides of my tank when viewing from the side
2. i wanted to leave enough room for my returns in each back corner

I used silicone on my overflow...if you make it out of glass and are attaching glass to glass, silicone is great...if you ever try acrylic to glass, silicone sucks...lol

As an add-on to the overflow...if you are getting two length-wise pieces of glass cut...just have them cut a third as well. Once your overflow is built and installed...go out and get some of those clear cabinet stoppers you can find at HD or Lowe's...put them in the corners and middle of your overflow, paint one side of the extra piece of glass black (Krylon spraypaint) and lay it on top of the overflow box to prevent any critters from taking a ride :)

fishysteve
01/26/2010, 03:17 PM
jb61264 - I hadn't thought of the return line placement, but it does seem like a good idea to leave room for it. I think I'll make it 36" instead of 48". Thank you. Should the three bulkheads be about 5 or 6 inches apart?

Chris27
01/27/2010, 06:05 AM
Where did you get the marine goop?

Lowes or Home Depot should carry it. If I remember correctly, it's less then $5. When curing, wait a good 48 hours and lay the tank on the back, it's a little more runny and takes much longer to cure then silicone.

jb61264
01/27/2010, 07:43 AM
jb61264 - I hadn't thought of the return line placement, but it does seem like a good idea to leave room for it. I think I'll make it 36" instead of 48". Thank you. Should the three bulkheads be about 5 or 6 inches apart?Mine are 5" center to center of each bulkhead...I think the bare minimum is at least the width of the size of the hole you drill for the bulkhead (ie..if your bulkhead hole is 1 1/2" diameter, then you should have the next hole at least 1 1/2" outside edge to outside edge away)..I just went with 5" center to center between each because this gave me the extra space between each drilled hole and still allowed me to run all three overflow pipes nearly straight down into the overflow section of my sump.

fishysteve
02/02/2010, 12:31 PM
Well it's up and running. I think it looks good. Not as quiet as I thought it would be. The noise is from the waterfall over the sump baffles. The drains themselves are quiet. Oh well.

fishysteve
02/06/2010, 12:58 PM
I finished my tank the other day. Thank you everyone for your help and advice. I'm happy with the results. For some reason I can't get any depth of field with my camera. It drives me crazy.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1427&pictureid=9025

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1427&pictureid=9026